One billion PCs in use in 2008

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Fascinating. Takes me back to that original Sperry Rand prediction, that after inventing the first vacuum tube computer predicted the total world wide market for computers was 300. Kinda missed the mark.:rolleyes:

3. herbalist

herbalist Guest

It's sad to think that the majority of them will be infected with something shortly after going online. Potentially a billion infected PCs by 2015, unless by some miracle they actually make a secure operating system people will use by then.
    Rick

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Microsoft will die by then and people will be using a normal OS...
    Mrk

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

The "secure operating system"(systems) already exist. The "miracle" would be if everyone starts using them, some of us do use them ;)

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Microsoft releases skeleton O/S's and leaves everything after that to vendors/freelance developers to fashion the rest. Simply put, they make the carriage frame and the rest of us have to assemble it.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The prediction was probably based on corporate users of computers (or in the realm of a supercomputer). I don't think they expected the miniaturization of the computer to have been easily achieved. I think that if the mainframe was all that is offered today, very few people would buy something that would take up the space of an entire house. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.