Once upon a time....

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by vigen, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello;

Once upon a time, an Anti-Spam module fully compatible, with Thunderbird, one of a most Pop3 client...

Many users of ESS, use Thunderbird and that for several years they can not use the module after they pay...

You'll be on it again with the latest versions ?

Thx.

Regards;

Vigen.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Even if Thunderbird was to be supported again, support would be added only for the ESR version.

3. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello Marcos,

Thx for this fastest answers...

You know if the new functional module will be ?

I understand that the mode of deployment of the mozilla foundation is not easy to follow, but others do ....

I sincerely hope that thunderbird users will no longer be forgotten....
    As they were long overdue...

Post Scriptum: Sorry for my bad english, i use an translation tool...

Regards;

Vigen.

4. Marcos

No decision has been made yet.

Which of the AV vendors have developed special plug-ins for each of the Thunderbird versions?

5. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello

The main thing is to have a functional module ... for each version ?... the problem is not there .. Each update of Thunderbird is not all need to a disruption of the software .. Sometimes it s' is that small updates, just look at the changelog...

Moreover, if the addon like Adblock etc etc, are up to date, I do not think it is really difficult for a software security editor .. the addon is just a bridge between thunderbird and application, it not need a full rewrite to each update.

An Editor like Bitdefender, for example, have an module fully compatible with Thunderbird, and despite the new deployment policy.

In the case of eset, the module was no longer compatible before the new policy.

This is not a criticism, just a discussion as one can get around a good beer ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The antispam plugin doesn't just scan a stream of POP3/SMTP/IMAP traffic; it hooks into the email client to perform inspection of the content and then works within the API of the mail client to perform various operations.

Even a small change to the mail client would require a large amount of verification to make sure it worked flawlessly and that no problems were introduced by the new version of the antispam plugin or the new version of the mail client.

With each new version, it's possible that the mail client API could change in ways an ESET plugin didn't work with, and could result in unforeseen/unexpected/unwanted behavior.

Right now, with the rapid release schedule schedule that the Thunderbird team has chosen, there's really no way for ESET to keep up. By the time a new plugin was built, tested, verified and made ready for release, a new version of Thunderbird would be out and we'd be scrambling again through the release cycle for a new plugin.

As my colleague Marcos noted, support for ESR versions of Mozilla Thunderbird is being considered, however, no decision has been made about that yet.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello Agoretsky,

Thanks for your detailed answers.

As I wrote earlier, I understand entirely the problems of the speed of deployment of the Mozilla Foundation.

"The antispam plugin doesn't just scan a stream of POP3/SMTP/IMAP traffic"
    I know that ;)

"it hooks into the email client to perform inspection of the content and then works within the API of the mail client to perform various operations. "
    This is fairly basic operations, API does not change at each in depth versions.

As I said, others have managed to maintain a plugin functions equivalent to date, despite these difficulties.

Unfortunately, the plugin was already more functional before the new policy of the Mozilla Foundation.

"As my colleague Marcos noted, support for ESR versions of Mozilla Thunderbird is being considered, however, no decision has been made about that yet."

I hope that this decision will be taken because it is really a very popular software.

Again, thank you for the clarification and sorry for the rough translation, which does not all need to reflect the spirit of the terms you want to use.

Regards;

Vigen.

8. Marcos

Others probably means only BD, right? Even then, it's not confirmed yet that it's fully compatible and fully functional with any version of TB.

9. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello Marcos,

"Others probably means only BD, right?"

I speak only product I know. BD is installed on one of my three machines, and the plugin has always worked or some versions of Thunderbird.

Compatibility with older versions, anyway is useless ... Besides having software with security holes.

Regards;

Vigen.

10. cobrafirefly

cobrafirefly Registered Member

So, I'm running a trial of this software right now and it got me thinking...

What Mail client does Eset recommend I use? Besides Outlook/Outlook Express, that is. I ain't got no time for those.

11. encus

encus Registered Member

Well, personally I think the temporarily solution for this is using the old Thunderbird that is still compatible with ESS. You can find the detailed info here.

12. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello Encus;

Personally, i think "Compatibility with older versions, anyway is useless ... Besides having software with security holes."

The 5.0 version of Thunderbird is a very old version. (2011)

Regards;

Vigen.

13. encus

encus Registered Member

I know, it's pretty risky :doubt: .

How about using another old method without having relatively security issue: web based mail?

14. vigen

vigen Registered Member

I find myself already in the case of not having web access temporarily,
    and need information located on one of my e-mail :rolleyes:

I like having my emails locally and not left on the server.

Have patience and hope that monitoring ESR versions will be decided.
    in any case, I know it will be a thing taken into account in their reflection on the renewal of the license application.

It is out of the question, which is "needed me" in any manner whatsoever the application that I have used.

If my mail client is not supported, despite the undeniable qualities of ESS, I would look elsewhere. I will obviously not pass on an email client paying for the anti-spam module works. ^ ^

Its very hardly with translation tools ^^

(The fact that there is no international forum, is quite annoying, especially for such a popular editor and sold around the world.)

15. agoretsky

Hello,

While the plugin API may not change markedly from version to version, or may change in ways that are irrelevant to an ESET antispam plugin, there's also the possibility, however slim, that something changed that could cause a problem (crashes, mailstore corruption, secure wipe of all messages, et cetera).

ESET's goal has always been to provide customers with a high degree of protection, however, that's always been coupled with providing safe, stable software that you can trust.

I think it would be a disservice to you and all of ESET's other customers if they were to release an antispam plugin that hadn't been thoroughly tested and claim it to be production level code.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

16. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello Mr Goretsky,

I never doubted that developers Eset do their best to provide a stable software.
    but I think, this is just my opinion, that the way to support the ESR version of would be taken for a long time, especially for such a widespread Thunderbird software.
    In my country is ESS has a quite expensive price, and it is unfortunate not to take full advantage of all the features offered.

Regards;

Vigen.

17. agoretsky

Hello,

ESET has a very aggressive product schedule for 2013, but, as you point out, Mozilla Thunderbird ESR is a popular mail client around the world. Let's see what happens in the future.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

18. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello,

Wait and see....

Regards;

Vigen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.