Once again looking for a PDF to Word converter

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Oct 6, 2014.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I spent all day yesterday trying to get a good conversion and got squat. All I need to do is keep the italic font and keep the paragraph structure reasonably intact, I don't care about graphics, tables, etc.

PDF-XChange Tools converted it but left big nags (BUY NOW!, etc.) all over the place that totally screwed up everything. Tried several online ones that never returned a converted file to me. Kept getting errors in LibreOffice.

Anyone have one that actually works? I prefer one that's completely local, I've had it with the online ones. Free or Demo. Please don't redirect me to a list, I searched lists all day yesterday. Looking for a recommendation, one that is known to work. Thanks. :)

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

3. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

4. allizomeniz

Thanks hqsec but it doesn't work. It gets to where you select what you want converted, and I select "All," then it goes unresponsive and I have to close it with the task manager.

Everything's allowed in Document Properties>Security so that shouldn't be an issue.

It's 24MB in size which is fairly large but not so large as to cause so many problems I would think.

5. allizomeniz

UniPDF did an excellent job overall. Not perfect but very impressive. At least I think I'll be able to use it with a little tweaking, and you were right about the extras. :D

6. Pliskin

7. allizomeniz

Pliskin have you used Nemo? I like the interface, but when I tried to convert my document, it went pretty fast to start, but then it started "filtering images" for each page, 200-300 per page, and it basically started crawling along and hardly made any progress in an hour. You have any idea what it's doing?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  8. Pliskin

No, but I remember someone saying that Nemo is even better than UniPDF.

9. allizomeniz

I love Nemo's inteface. I think it's better than any others I've looked at. But that's about as far as it goes.

I've been playing with it to see what it can do and its performance is horrible. It keeps changing the output path after I've set it. I tried setting the page range, first 1-35, then 1-100, and in each case it scanned the whole document before it could even start and that takes about five minutes. I told it to keep images but it discarded them anyway.

UniPDF is better, imo.:thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.