on Rollback RX...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by moontan, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildernow

wildernow Registered Member

To do a backup on my external hard drive, I have to uninstall rollback.

2 days ago I was backing up my system with RB and the system disengage RB.

So now I have to be very careful with this software. Even though it is a very good software for creating restore points.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Hmm, which backup program are you using? o_O

Aaron

3. wildernow

I am using the Samsung Recovery Solution 4. It came bundled and compressed with Win 7, with my Samsung Laptop.

So the Win 7 software is bundled outside of the C: drive.

When I bought it I had to unzip and install the Win 7 which includes the Samsung Recovery Backup.

So I really don't have any other option but to use the Samsung Backup, which is ok.

mc

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You could always hunt around for a backup solution that allows sector by sector backup. That way you can backup without needing to uninstall rollback.

5. Aaron Here

Yes, and I'm quite sure that the Samsung Recovery Solution can be uninstalled just like any other application program.

6. wildernow

What about Paragon Drive Backup or Paragon HD Manager Suite 10?

Would 1 of these program be able to backup everything and restore without the need to uninstall the samsung?

mc

7. Aaron Here

The thing is I suspect that Samsung Recovery Solution may have modified the MBR (which in turn could have brought about the incompatibility with Rollback Rx as mentioned in your post #26). So I would suggest that you uninstall it.

Although not my favorite, I'm sure that Paragon Drive Backup would be capable of backing up a system that has RB installed, as long as Paragon's boot disk sees your drives!

Aaron

8. wildernow

Just tried Paragon System Backup.

All I can say is that it is an Awesome program. Backup and restore everything perfectly.

mc

9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

In addition I would point out that the vast majority of problems that would be experienced are software/system related. The frequency that a user will have a hardware related problem is significantly less than a software related problem.

Given this fact it makes very little sense to me to have an imaging program running rather than (or in addition to) Rx.

An image once a week provides me with a high level of comfort when combined with a program like Rx. My only concern is possible loss of up to a max of 1 weeks critical data due to a hardware issue (which would include loss due to theft or destruction of the PC (fire for example). I have addressed this issue by (as noted above) by uploading the critical data to an on-line backup service and keeping my drive images off site.

That being said we have wandered far afield of the OP which was regarding the size of snaps. As was pointed out a snap created with Rx will be significantly smaller than any image. As far as the small is beautiful philosophy Rx wins hands down IMO.

ALSO if you want compatibility and are not concerned about maintaining snap history (why would you want to) in your image then its a no brainer to use the Rx companion Drive Cloner. How come you folks keep overlooking this program? Do you know something I don't?

10. Aaron Here

Hi BG,

I think we went around the block on this once before. I would pose the following question to you - other than the fact that Drive Cloner is an HDS product, pray tell what it is about Drive Cloner that makes it any more compatible with Rollback Rx than other disk-imaging programs?

Aaron

11. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Moontan,

The Keriver 1-Click doesn't modify the MBR. It is based on Grub4DOS and it's sub-console menu appears before the MBR. I have it installed as such on 4 computers, without any problems.

In one of my laptop, I am testing Farstone Total Recovery, it also shows up in the modified MBR menu with Macrium Reflect as boot sub-concolse. So the MRB menu, appears after Keriver 1-Click sub-console menu as follows:

1. Windows 7
    2. Macrium Reflect
    3. Farstone Total Recovery

Keriver 1-Click Restore has a bootable CD too, even with the free version. It is a very nice program. The PRO version cost me $10 and I am legally allowed to use on all my nine computers in my home.

Best regards,

KOR!

12. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

when i used rollback rx i would try to run ccleaner before each snapshot so as not to include temporary files and other crap in them. also i noticed that trying to change the page file size on a partition protected by rx was a big no no; the change would both fail and add the page file size to my snapshots. With a large page file, say 4 GB, this flaw in rx has the potential to eat up the available free space very quickly and crash the system (at least that was my experience). i still consider it a great program - the only reason i stopped using it was because i encrypted my hard drive and rx doesn't work with truecrypt or diskcryptor.

13. aladdin

Dear Aaron (Haroon),

The idea of both K1CP and Macrium, I got it from the Brian, Panagiotis and Sadeghi85 from the following thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=291785

First of all my apologies to answer you late. I was all day playing once more with Rollback Rx and I encountered the same problem with two computers with I encountered months early.

First, I removed everything from the MBR and also K1CP and ran chkdsk and defrag on the system drive. No errors nothing.

Then I installed Rollback Rx, but every time I booted the computer, the Rx went through that the computer didn't shut down properly and it checked the disk. Once I was in the Windows, I got the error from Windows that Windows crashed.

So I uninstalled Rx, ran the chkdsk and mostly got lots errors, such as (128 "") and so forth. Then I uninstalled a program at a time, still had the same problems with Rx and went through the same procedure with same errors both on restarting the computer and running the chkdsk.

The programs that I uninstalled are:

1. Shadow Defender
    2. Returnil
    3. Acronis True Image
    4. Norton Ghost
    5. O&O Clever Cache

But, I am still having the same problem on both the computers.

Best regards,

KOR!

14. Aaron Here

KOR,

Imho, you simply have too many similar-type apps running on your system! :doubt:

If you are really serious in getting RB to run properly on your system, remove K1CP, Macrium, and all of those other apps you listed in 1-5. Then clean up your system including the MBR (which I suspect is corrupted) followed by running a disk defrag. After doing all of that, install RB and it should work without the problems that have plagued you.

Aaron

15. aladdin

Dear Aaron,

I did remove all the programs in 1-5, plus the K1CP (which I forgot to mention earlier). Also I did repair the MBR, ran chkdsk and ran defrag. The first thing I did was uninstall K1CP so it was no longer available on boot. This is the only way with K1CP.

Then I removed Macrium and Total Recovery from the MBR (though I didn't uninstall them), then ran the following command with Windows 7 x64 setup disk:

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
    Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Then booted, scheduled a chkdsk on re-start. Restarted ran the chkdsk, there were no errors. Once in Windows ran the defrag, the drive had only 2.4% fragmentation before running the defrag. Then installed Rx.

After that I went through uninstalling 1-5. I also forgot to mention that I uninstalled Asus Fastboot, thus making 1-6.

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. I have also on my computer Paragon and Windows Image installed. Paragon does modifies the MBR, but I have not used it as such.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  16. bgoodman4

If we did I don't recall this particular issue being discussed but then my memory is not what it used to be.

Anyway, as I understand it Drive Cloner understands Rx snaps and thus there will be no need for sector by sector images or worry about mbr repairs when restoring from a Drive Cloner image. You do lose any snap history though which you and others have pointed out you do not lose if you do a full sector by sector image (but that takes longer to do and requires more disk space). The point is you can do images with Rx installed and not worry about mbr issues etc----which I understand is an issue with 3rd party image programs when imaging with Rx installed.

There was also some mention that the 2011 release will have even more compatibility which I am hopeful means snap history retention also but only time will tell.

17. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

KOR, most of the apps that you described do not touch the mbr, they only add an entry for their recovery enviroments in the bcd. From those only K1CP and RollbackRX modify/replace your mbr.

Panagiotis

18. aladdin

Dear Panagiotis,

Thank you for your response. Still trying to learn imaging, mbr, snapshots and so forth. Might have some more questions for you later. Many thanks!

Best regards,

KOR!

19. Aaron Here

KOR, from what you said (I embolded the important phrase), you removed programs 1-6 after installing RB, whereas you should uninstall them before you install RB - leaving those programs, including Keriver etc., off of your PC until you determine if RB is functioning as it should.

Aaron

20. Aaron Here

BG, you are mistaken - that entire premise is simply incorrect.

I have also read that on HDS' forums and all that I can say is it's about time!

Aaron

21. aladdin

Dear Aaron,

I first uninstalled K-1Clk and removed from BCD both Marcium and Total Recovery. Then repaired the MBR with the commands I posted above. Ran chkdsk and then defrag. Then installed Rx.

Rx didn't work. So I uninstalled Rx. Ran chkdsk. Uninstalled Program 1. Ran chkdsk. Installed Rx.

Rx didn't work. So I uninstalled Rx. Ran chkdsk. Uninstalled Program 2. Ran chkdsk. Installed Rx.

Rx didn't work. So I uninstalled Rx. Ran chkdsk. Uninstalled Program 6. Ran chkdsk. Installed Rx.

Spend one full day on it, after that I gave up and posted the results in this thread!

Best regards,

KOR!

22. aladdin

Basically, went through process of elimination!

Best regards,

KOR!

23. Aaron Here

KOR,

You seem to have 'covered all bases' and at this point I'm at a loss to come up with any other suggestions other than to contact the Horizon DataSys support, either on their Facebook page (under the support tab Horizon DataSys | Facebook) or at http://support.horizondatasys.com.

Best of luck and please keep us posted as to any resolution to this issue.

Aaron

24. bgoodman4

After some searching it is clear that we have talked about this issue before (2 years ago actually) but as far as I can tell at the time there was no clear resolution. You did address the issue of doing a sector by sector image in order to retain all snaps but the issue of Drive Cloner (or at the time the imaging feature that was part of Rx) being able to image completely the system and data portions of the drive was not shown to be wrong.

The discussion took place in a thread at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=230590&highlight=MrAnyone Drive Cloner

The specific posts begin here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1400966&postcount=19

In one of my posts I provide a quote from Horizons website which follows

In addition, the following is from Horizons website at http://www.horizondatasys.com/363895.ihtml

I get that Drive Cloner will not capture all existing snaps but I am not concerned with this. I am only concerned with the state of the PC at the time the image was created. It sure sounds as if Drive Cloner will do this or is Horizon blowing smoke about this in your opinion?

Please understand I am not trying to be argumentative here. I just don't get why you feel I am mistaken. If you could please explain to me how/why I am mistaken I would be appreciative because if I am wrong then I am trusting my data etc to a process that will not provide the level of security that I think it will and that I wish to have.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  25. aladdin

Why would they take out Drive Cloner from Rx?

Why they are still trying to bring the imaging technology back to Rx?

I believe that the old geezer Aaron Here is right on the dot on this!

Best regards,

KOR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.