On-line status bug

Discussion in 'Test Forum' started by Bill_Bright, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I just posted a reply in the thread about open source notebooks. As I typically do, I scanned my post after submitting just to make sure there were no typos, formatting, grammar or spelling issues when I noticed my online status said I was "Off line". I wasn't! I was signed in, on line and actively using the site.

A quick look through my profile settings and all there permitted displaying my status. I returned to the thread, hit refresh and then it said I was On-line. Odd. Not a big deal, but odd.

Also, does this forum still need a sticky by Paul from Sept 2012 saying the board is about to go through a cleanup in the next couple days? Just seems ironic since that 2012 post was about cleaning up non-useful posts.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You were actually timed out from your session when that post was added. The online/offline flag is only updated by GET transactions. POST transactions (such as doing post previews or actually commiting a new post) don't cause the status to be updated. So, making a post from a timed out state will show you Offline for that first page view. However, since that view did set your status, anyone else making a click a moment later will see you Online. Your next click or a page refresh will then show the updated status back to you.

While Paul's post here was initially to let people know that we were cleaning out the Test forum at one point, it was left as a notice that this section does get periodically cleaned out. People should not count on any content in this section remaining available over time. While much does, I do occasionally sweep through this section and reduce it to just a few pages of threads. Although, I guess I am overdue for a cleanup.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

And, just to demostrate what I mean, I deliberated waited 15 minutes to commit the post above. When it took me to the post, it showed me as Offline, as well. My very next click reflected me online since that GET transaction updated the flag on my account.

todemonstrate.jpg

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I may be demonstrating my ignorance (I am good at that sometimes), I just assumed if I was logged in and still connected, it would show me "on-line". I find it odd that previewing my posts and actually committing a new post don't reset the counter. That said, since those actions don't, that explains what I saw. Thanks.

As for Paul's post, maybe if it was edited to say it would be an "on-going" thing instead of "Within a few days", it would make more sense as a sticky.

Anyway, thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.