On line scan?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by JimmieC, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmieC

JimmieC Registered Member

I stand to be corrected if this is the wrong forum for this query. When running an on line scan such as "Housecall" to check for a virus on OS Windows Me, is it advisable to disable System Restore. I feel the machine in question is infected. I would like to restore to an earlier date, as I don't know if there may be additional issues. But, I feel the first order of business would be to address the potential virus. If I disable System Restore, doesn't that remove the previous restore points? Thanks for any help offered.

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Jimmie,

I'm not aware of any need to disable Sys Restore while doing an online scan. What you will want to temporarily disable is any resident (real-time) protection your own a-v has, to avoid conflicts -- just don't forget to turn it back on after doing the online scan.

3. JimmieC

MikeBCda;

Thanks for responding. Appreciate your drawing my attention to my working anti-virus (disabling) prior to scanning. If I were to initiate a roll back with my computer in it's present state (messed up), I would corrupt my restore points, yes/no? But, as long as I can clean it up (virus wise) no problem going for a system restore. Please correct me if I am wrong, or if you feel I should research it further. Thanks again!

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Jimmie, ;)

Welcome to Wilders'

Yes, if you disable System Restore, it will clear all your restore points. Usually it is suggested to disable system restore, when cleaning a virus because some restore points could also contain the "virus"/infected file etc. While these instructions are for Windows XP, I do believe the conditions are the same for Windows ME.

Here's some info regarding this from Symantec:
    Read the full article including instructions here -> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001111912274039?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

Understanding System Restore - Microsoft Knowledge Base

HTH, ;)

Steve

5. JimmieC

Steve;

Thank you for your informative reply. I am trying to stay away from removing my restore points, in case there is more wrong with my system then being just virus infected. I would like to be able to revert back to a previous date (hoping it is clean). So I think I will run a virus scan and hope for the best. Lot of hoping going on. If I were to disable my system restore, and I can't correct my immediate problem, I would guess my next move would be to re-install. Open for suggestions. Thank you,

6. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Hiya

when I am looking at HJT logs, or generally cleaning up systems, I normally only purge the System Restore when I am sure that the machine is clean. My rational behind this is that it is better to have an infected restore point than have to reinstall.

HDriderUK

7. dog

dog Guest

Well, pick a restore point and set your system back and then re-scan ... and see what's found ... What else do you expect is wrong? A reformat is seldom needed - it's a very extreme measure. ;)

If you do think you have other malware active on your PC your can post a Hijack This log @ Castle Cops ... be sure to read their guidelines for post a log first - HJT Guidelines

HTH,

Steve

8. JimmieC

Steve & HDriderUK,

Thanks for the input. I feel the same in regard to having a restore point to fall back on. I don't know if there may be additional problems other then the virus. Just being negative I guess. I'll try to clean my machine, and if need be revert to an earlier time. You have all been very helpful, and I appreciate your efforts. Also Steve, thanks for the mention of Castle Cops & HJT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.