On Demand Scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It does matter whether you use '/' or '\'. '\' is used when you browse through folders, and '/' is used when you want to start an application with some special command.

2. Firecat

Just in case you saw this page first, your answer is in the last page.

Don't worry, there was a time when none of us knew all this...Its just that some people get it early and others dont, there is nothing to be ashamed of. You're a proud soldier who fought for his country. We haven't even held arms, we dont know how to use 'em. Every one of us is special in a particular field...and there are so many fields out there.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Firecat,

HEY IT WORKED. Now I have an excellent scan engine (or whatever it is called) to go along with my Bit Defender 8.0. :D
    I also have Ewido Suite, and LooknStop paid on this my new computer. I like all of them.

On my old computer, which I am keeping until I get my taxes done, I am running W 98 with Avast free, Kerio 2.1.5, and trial version of Trojan Hunter. All of these are good, also.
    I had tried Outpost, AVG 7, and A Square. Although all are OK, I prefer what is on there now. When I do my taxes I will give the old one to a friend or a missionary, and I want it secure.

It has taken a lot of your time and effort to help me get this problem solved. I greatly appreciate that, and I have learned a lot during the process. This is called the “School of hard knocks.” It could have been harder if you had not so graciously taken time to help me. The motto of that school is “Ouch.” I’m glad it’s over, but I would not “take for it.”

It’s almost funny that I have a friend who comes to me for computer help. Now that is what is meant by “The blind leading the blind.” :D :D

Have a good day, and again, Thank you so much.

Jerry

4. Firecat

So now you get the 'Scan Clean' option every time you start eScan Free Edition?

You have a great day too :) and you're welcome.

Regards,
    Firecat

5. Firecat

I see your running BitDefender 8.0 . Can you tell me how its running?

EDIT:- I think now your PC is as secure as it gets!

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, I get the Scan Clean option every time I start the scanner. I checked it several times.

Regarding Bit Defender 8.0, I am well pleased with it. It caught three viruses attempting to get through my email soon after I installed it. There is one quirk. When it updates it shuts off for a few seconds until the updates are loaded. It is probably about 3 seconds. The Windows/Dell security program warns me, and at first I thought it was malfunctioning.

I contacted the support people who explained that this is the normal mode. Whether that is different from other Av or just this one I do not know. If I were not warned by the Microsoft security program, which comes with W XP or XP SP2, I would not be aware of it.

Any thoughts on that?

Jerry

7. Firecat

It is normal, you need not worry. But it's not normal to all AV programs, but since it shuts down and starts again you need not worry.

After update BitDefender is refreshing its database so it shuts for a slight amount of time but it keeps track of all files scanned in that 3 seconds and scans them when it comes back. So no need to worry.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, that is comforting to know. It just updated a few minutes ago, and the time is nearer 5 or 6 seconds. However, I do trust it.

Thanks,
    Jerry

9. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Hi Jerry. It's good to hear that you got escan working. You got a great coach there in Firecat.

10. twig

twig Guest

what should be the latest virus data base count for e scan free edition ? Thanks

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Mr2cents. He had his work cut out for him. When someone like me o_O needs help it requires patience, intelligence, skill, compassion, and maybe a little luck. :D :D
    Our friend Firecat obviously filled the bill. I appreciate you also, and those who helped.

twig,

I just updated mine and the number as of the 27th is 112,663 as shown on the console. Hope that is what you were asking.

Jerry

12. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

My current date/time here in Michigan is 02/26/2005 19:39:20.76, BUT the eScan date is 2005/02/27 :D

Part of my C:\bases\mwav.log file:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  13. flinchlock

I also just updated mine, and I have a MUCH larger number than you :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: o_O o_O o_O o_O

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Strange, but I have no explanation. It might be that I downloaded using the current weeks updates from http://www.kaspersky.com/avupdates.

If you have followed this thread you will know that I get some strange results on computers. o_O

Jerry

15. flinchlock

I'm not sure what "I downloaded using the current weeks updates from http://www.kaspersky.com/avupdates" means, but here is how I update mine...

Code:
    C:\bases>kavupd.exe
    KAV Updater DLL API
    ANSI version.
    Version: 4.0.2.5
    Downloading
    02/26/05 19:36:53 (STARTING)  KAV Updater starts ''
    02/26/05 19:36:53 (STARTING)  Update from URL 'http://updates2.kaspersky-labs.com/updates_x'
    02/26/05 19:36:53 (CONNECTING)  Connecting to the server 'updates2.kaspersky-labs.com'  processing...
    02/26/05 19:36:53 (CONNECTING)  Connecting to the server 'updates2.kaspersky-labs.com'  done.
    02/26/05 19:36:53 (SELECTING)  Select updates to download '/updates_x/'  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:06 (SELECTING)  Select updates to download '/updates_x/'  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:06 (DOWNLOADING)  Downloading files ''  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:10 (DOWNLOADING)  Downloading file 'daily.avc'  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (DOWNLOADING)  Downloading file 'avp.klb'  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (DOWNLOADING)  Downloading files ''  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (INSTALLING)  Installing files ''  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (INSTALLING)  Installing file '\Downloads\daily.avc'  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (INSTALLING)  Installing file '\Downloads\avp.klb'  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (INSTALLING)  Installing files ''  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (DISCONNECTING)  Disconnecting 'updates2.kaspersky-labs.com'  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (DISCONNECTING)  Disconnecting 'updates2.kaspersky-labs.com'  done.
    SUCCESS!!!
    Updating
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (STARTING)  KAV Updater starts ''
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (STARTING)  Update from URL '\Downloads\'
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (SELECTING)  Select updates to download '\Downloads\'  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (SELECTING)  Select updates to download '\Downloads\'  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (DOWNLOADING)  Downloading files ''  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (DOWNLOADING)  Downloading file 'daily.avc'  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (DOWNLOADING)  Downloading file 'avp.klb'  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (DOWNLOADING)  Downloading files ''  done.
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (INSTALLING)  Installing files ''  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (INSTALLING)  Installing file '\Bases\daily.avc'  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (INSTALLING)  Installing file '\Bases\avp.klb'  processing...
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (INSTALLING)  Installing files ''  done.
    SUCCESS!!!
    02/26/05 19:37:13 (FINISHING)  Update process successfully completed ''
    Press any key to continue
    HTH,
    Mike

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Mike,
    If you go to the site I referenced you will see that the count is 119603. The updates shown there are zip files, and maybe they are not up to the minute.

I'll update mine from the mwav and see if it changes.

Added. I just updated and "it" said that I had all the current updates. The number did not change from 112663. I sure have no explanation for that. Maybe there are various places where the updates are downloaded. o_O

Are you using the updater from the program?

Jerry

17. flinchlock

YES...

Code:
    1st) Make a folder called [b]c:\bases[/b]
    2nd) Unzip (I use Winzip) [B]mwav447.exe[/B] into the [B]c:\bases[/B] folder.
    3rd) Open a [b]Command Prompt[/b] window.
    4th) Type in [B]cd c:\bases[/B]
    5th) Type in [B]kavupd.exe[/B]
         (took an hour on dial-up to download/update about 100 *.avc files)
    6th) Type in [b]mwavscan.com[/b]
    Mike

18. twig

twig Guest

thanks guys

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Mike.
    I don't understand why another folder is needed in addition to the Mwav folder.

I am not sure how you make the folder in c drive when you are not loading anything into it. Do you click on C and then make a new folder? Does it go into the Programs folder or where does it reside? My Mwav folder is under Programs.

Jerry

20. flinchlock

Well, I'm not really sure why myself! :eek: I asked the same question in this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=367614#post367614 but didn't get an answer. There was post by Notok https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=365685&postcount=35 that mention the c:\bases folder.

Using Windows Explorer, I clicked on C:, then I used the toolbar: File > New > Folder. ("File > New > Folder" means to click "File", then click "New", then click "Folder".)

Well, it's 10PM in Michigan... time for TV & Beer & Popcorn with the wife... later.

Mike

21. twig

twig Guest

my lastest update 118536
    I downloaded mine to C:\ documents and settings \ kaspersky
    I placed a shortcut that is pinned to my start icons for kavupd . And on my desktop a shortcut to mwavscan which opens it up for a scan . ( I keep desktop hidden ) but it works fine apart from the updates not being consistant with other postings.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Have a good evening, Mike.

Twig, I guess my scanner is slow to get the electrons or whatever to New Mexico. Maybe it does not know that NM is really a part of the USA. :rolleyes:

I guess it will catch up in time. I sure do like it for a back up scanner with the Kaspersky engine.

It is only 8:45 PM here, but time to wrap it up.

Have a good evening/night all.

Jerry

23. twig

twig Guest

niters

Kav is in my understanding the best all round AV /AT / wormz / scanner around.

24. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Jerry. The sigs you downloaded are normal/standardbases, twigg's are the extended and Mike's are the supersecure/x-bases link to info on the extra databse option's, not for inexperienced user's. :)

25. Notok

Notok Registered Member

What I had noticed was that after running kavupd.exe the first time, it would start downloading the updates to c:\downloads and copy them to c:\bases but not to the mwav folder.. so just put mwav into c:\bases to start with and problem solved :) My guess is that kav normally puts the updater and the def files in separate subfolders, so kavupd is set to download the files to ..\bases

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.