On-Demand scan from the contextmenu

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by theTemest, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theTemest

theTemest Registered Member

Good Morning-

Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) SP2
    ESET NOD32 version 4.0.474.0

I just downloaded a sceensaver. Knowing how notorious these type of sites are for delivering some type malware I wanted to check the download before installing. I 'Right Clicked' the .exe file and clicked 'Scan with ESET NOD32 Antivirus". The On-Demand scan showed 1 file scanned and no infections. However, when I opened the .exe to install I received the NOD32 popup window with the "Warning: Potential threat found" message. I deleted the file.
    Of what value is the On-Demand Scan via the context menu, or should I ask, what exactly does the On-Demand scan identify?

Thank you in advance.

2. DrewD

DrewD Eset Staff Account

Certain files may have compressed encrypted components that are not able to be scanned until they are decompressed in memory, which is where the threat was most likely detected by the ESET realtime scanner.

This is by design, in order to deter reverse engineering, as well as to obfuscate the contents.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hard to say what happened without knowing your configuration and checking the file you executed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.