On a hunt for a good firewall...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by GuardianofNight, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Because , contrary to your belief , most would disagree with you . Sygate is decent . Not at the top for many . Better choices are available and most take a look at those and decide to choose the better ones . Many Sygate users now , are users from long ago . They do not want to let it go . It has done well by them . Many get attached to a firewall and stay regardless .

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I believe Sygate gets short changed a little due to it's loopback issue/weakness because it is otherwise a good firewall..

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Good Evening All,
    I am no expert on Firewalls. I have used several and the one I like most is OutPost Pro. I really do not have a favorite. ;)

4. Arup

Arup Guest

The latest Avast has solved the Websheild problem with Sygate to a certain extent, and if one is not using a proxy, Sygate is a very good option, far less vulnerable than many out there and the pro version contains anti-spoofing and other truly useful features.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Arup - I think that Avast IS acting as a proxy, so it probably won't work with Sygate properly at all.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2005
  7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Looks more complicated than it appears at first glance...

Actually (remembering some things), that explains some of what I saw going on with my Kerio 4 rules with Avast. I noticed that some browsers needed certain rules and other browsers didn't. Avast was only doing it with certain known browsers.

Thanks Arup for the info...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  8. Arup

Arup Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2005
  9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sygate handles fragmented packets ok. I have tested it before. It was actually the firewall where I first noticed them coming in and being identified as "non-first fragments" by Sygate. Helped me to see that Kerio 2 was letting them in. Anyway, Sygate is fine.

Sygate is a good firewall. If it weren't for the loopback issue, I think it would be much more popular. It's actually the first firewall I ever purchased.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Well if you don't use proxy, Sygate is heavily recommended for both beginners and experts alike. Has a nice interface, is quite stable, nice logging feature and is free.

11. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Sygate was my very first firewall, a few months after going online back in 1996 or early 1997. I liked it then and I like it now, enough that I have a license for it. Sygate, LooknStop, and Visnetic are the only firewalls I've thought enough of to purchase licenses for after running the free or trial versions.

Of the many I've tried, I like Sygate Pro for one reason in particular. In the pro version you can check a box and Sygate hides your browser and OS information. I've never had a single problem with Sygate being fully stealth at 4 or 5 places I check. I've found Sygate easy to make rules for, and I know next to nothing about rule making. I've never, in all the years I ran, and still occasionally run Sygate, had it crash, freeze, or cause any problem. It just sits there and works.

I currently have Kerio 4.1.3 on my computer. Next week, I might still have Kerio, or I might be back with Sygate or LnS. Actually, any of the 3 are good, reliable firewalls (on my computers). Whatever I try, though, I always end up back with Sygate. I like it and recommend the free or pay version to anybody who asks about a firewall on the various forums or boards I post on.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

Sygate Pro also has a functional integrated non intruding IPS which gets regular definition updates along with anti IP Spoofing and OS fingerprinting function, the only thing it needs is to update its engine to accommodate the proxy loopback issue. Its security features including the stealth is among the most comprehensive.

Both the free as well as Pro support ICS/NAT and has the unique ability to create advanced rules for NAT component, a feature lacking in almost all firewalls there.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.