OMG - Linux dialup SUCESSS!!!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That's right I'm on the web with LINUX & dialup. 1st time ever!

Those that know my struggle will understand.

The deal is my previous ISPs must have not supported connecting with LINUX. Even though support said they did. Off with their heads. :D No I forgive them. But still canceling them.

Anyways thanks to members & friends here & elsewhere. I can start the real learning of Linux.

Oh, the distro I'm using is PCLinuxOS - 2007. Right now I'm using the LiveCD. I will install after I run around posting this in all my forums.

Also must mention I'm using a US Robotics ext serial modem. After trying with a winmodem.

I feel like I won a gold medal after all this frustration (2-3yrs).

Thanks all! :thumb:

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

t3h l33t n33$ :D

Awesome, I feel your frustration in the other threads, so I am glad you got it working. Pretty narrow minded ISP if you ask me, but I am glad you finally got everything working. Time to have some fun finally :cool:

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks.

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

:D :D :D

Glad you finally got it working! :)

I understand your feeling quite well, when I saw my first webpage render in Konqi it was the greatest feeling in the world after all the trials and tribulations of the previous two years.

Check out PCLOS's Wiki. Right now it looks like this is a new one which is being updated with the new release. In it you should find out how to set up PCLOS after the installation (like using the multimedia meta package to install codecs, MSFonts, etc) and the video driver.

If you have any problems the people on PCLOS's forum are a great bunch of people and Texstar himself frequents there as well.

EDIT:after clicking on some links in the Wiki it appears to be heavily into construction now with a lot of dead links. You may have search the forums on how to do setup PCLOS.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks for the encouragement & the Wiki link.

6. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

hey zapjb glad that you got it working.stick with linux. your biggest hurdle is over..

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks.

But I have another problem. Now my 3rd HDD (I have a swappable tray system) which has the Linux on it. It's dying, loud clicks of death.

So now I'll either have to get another HDD. Or learn how to dual boot Linux & XP. I'm ascared. :D Wished I'd jumped on that Seagate deal awhile back. Probably just kill the HDD, LiveCD it until my money & a bargain come together.

8. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Happy to hear you're connecting with your modem.
    Welcome to Linux - where it's YOUR box, and not Bill's. ;)

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Job well done!
    Capture that giddy feeling of triumph - that's Linux. Getting high on binary! Something like that cannot be achieved using Windoze.
    And you have earned your place in heaven now.
    Mrk

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Thats brill, its amazing how many people have had dialup probs with Linux, with any combination of driver, configuration or isp problems.

BTW Its VERY easy to copy Linux from one drive to another. (far less hassle than running a live cd.
    Simplest way I found was boot off a live cd.
    Partiton your new drive, mount your new and old partitions as newroot/oldroot newboot/oldboot etc (creating the directories as needed).
    Then use a "cp -ax /oldroot/* /newroot/" command.

Gentoo has a good guide. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/partitioning-p1.xml

11. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi members:

I still do not understand why there has to be such a problem with linux and dial-ups and isp's. It is a good thing that I was not fully aware of this when I switched over to ubuntu. It may have scared me off. BTW, I was instantly connected. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.