Older Notebook vs Netbook

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mark.eleven, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark.eleven

mark.eleven Registered Member

My 3 year old notebook CPU fan broke down. I'm considering either to replace the old notebook fan, or just sell it off it and get a new netbook.

The cost of replacing the old notebook fan is approximately $50. Besides the cost, the problem is no available stock of the fan in the repair shops in my area. On the other hand, if I sell off the old notebook, it can fetch about $250. With this money and by adding a little more, I can get myself a new netbook (set my eye on Lenovo Ideapad S10-3 netbook).

My old notebook specs are:
    - Intel Core Duo Processor 1.83GHz
    - 2.5GB DDR2 RAM
    - 80G harddisk.

Lenovo S10-3 netbook specs:
    - Intel Atom CPU 1.83GHz
    - 1GB DDR2 RAM (upgradable to 2G)
    - 250G harddisk.

What do you think I should do? I'd like to hear your opinion, thanks.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I would go for 2nd option (get a new machine)

3. spm

spm Registered Member

Well, you have left out all of the information anyone will need to answer your question. What uses will you put the notebook or netbook to?

Given the lack of any useful info, my general response is this: if you consider a netbook as a notebook replacement, you're on the road to regret. Studies have suggested that 80% of people who buy netbooks give up on them within 3 months. Netbooks have their uses, but don't expect them to replace the functions of a notebook.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

No question what so ever in my mind, fix your laptop.

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

LoL.!! :eek: :eek:
    Are you serious about this?
    Of course fix your old pc (and maybe upgrade it by adding a new hd, 250gb and up).

Panagiotis

6. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

As a netbook user (have been for the last 2 years), I find they are incredibly useful things to have. I wouldn't use them as a primary machine, however. I would also add, that even with 2gb of RAM, it isn't worth running anything other than Windows XP or a Linux distro. The main reason for this is speed - my HP netbook came with Vista and only 1gb of RAM. Even with 2gb and Windows 7, it was still crawling. Now it has XP SP3 and I'm laughing, it's great for doing general office/internet browsing, especially on the train or on my lap of an evening.

My advice would hence be to get the fan fixed on your other laptop.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Is the netbook dual-core? Mine is, even though it just says Intel Atom.

8. MaxEntropy

MaxEntropy Registered Member

The Atom N450 processor in the netbook is probably slower than your dual-core notebook processor. I think the N450 is a single-core processor, like the older N270 in my netbook. It uses "hyperthreading", so it appears to the OS as two processors. If you run CPU-intensive applications a lot, then you might find a true dual-core processor better.

Having said that, I've used my netbook for number crunching in Mathematica and C++ with no problems, as well as for editing digital photos and much else besides.

Not everyone likes the small screen on netbooks, but their diminutive size makes them very portable. You also need to buy a USB DVD/CD player. You can put the iso files on the HDD and mount them as virtual disks, so you don't need to lug the player around all the time - a large HDD is therefore a boon, as it has plenty of space for CDs and DVDs.

It's a matter of personal choice, but I personally have been happy using a netbook for the last 18 months or so. I only recently bought a new laptop with the i5 processor. It's about 5 times faster than the netbook in raw number-crunching jobs. That extra speed is useful for my work. But the netbook is fine for everyday tasks, like web browsing, email, word processing, etc. And both machines boot into XP in about one minute.

9. mark.eleven

mark.eleven Registered Member

The notebook/netbook is mainly for web browsing, email, word processing, and occasional downloading of music and movie. No gaming.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To get netbook for this laptop will be a bad decision.

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Affordable option for fixing your old laptop.....search ebay for the same model, often you can find them on ebay...maybe with a broken screen, or cracked chassis, broken hinge, etc. Obviously great for "parts" for things like fans, keyboards, etc etc.

Regarding the netbook...spend some time with a netbook before getting one. After a few minutes of "oh how cute"....you start to realize that the keyboards are often too cramped, the screen resolution is too low for some useful web surfing like forums (you scroll too much to read it all) or document writing.

Single core Atoms can run Win7 fine...esp if you combine with an SSD which most netbooks have..and get a 2nd gig of RAM in there. However yes the newer D510 and higher dual core Atoms are quite a bit quicker.

12. MaxEntropy

MaxEntropy Registered Member

This is what many (possibly even most) computer users require. Netbooks do the job with no fuss and at a bargain price. They've been hugely popular as a result.

Notwithstanding YeOldeStoneCat's comments, I've had no trouble using a netbook for word processing, browsing forums or any other everyday computer task. The screen is small (1078x600) compared to most laptops and desktops, so you need to scroll more when browsing. But that's very easy to do with the touchpad. You can also configure a browser like Firefox so that the menus and toolbars are in a single row, which saves some precious screen space.

When using MS Word, I usually set the document view to 'text width'. That displays about 20 lines of text, which is enough for me to work with.

13. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I don't think you can get $250 for a 3-year old, and not very powerful notebook that does not work - unless the buyer is not aware of the problems. Therefore, I think repairing it is a better deal.

14. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Exactly my thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.