Old one come back to haunt me...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by JeremyWW, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I'm not happy. Running 1b

1) Slow performance generally from the machine, with 1b.
    2) Full scan now hangs ESS and then the entire machine half way through scanning my second hard disk.
    3) I'm now getting this... https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171328&highlight=hangs startup

I have to go back to NOD32 2.7 until Beta 2. 1b seems to be a backward step, which I find hard to comprehend, as 1a was actually running fine for me.

2. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

Same for me too...

3. JeremyWW

You mean..you're getting the same problems?!!

4. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

Yes unfortunately...

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

6. JeremyWW

I re-imaged my hard disk and re-installed ESS with FW set to Automatic. I have no startup hangs, but performance is best described as 'pig in mud'. In depth scan is also hanging as before.

Sorry guys but this is not good. I'm a long standing ESET supporter, but this Beta is flaky, to say the least...

I've had to come back and add this:

It worries me that ESET are pushing out Betas is this state. My feeling is that there is not enough testing happening in the 'shop' before allowing people to download it. I have tested many Betas is the past, but none, including Kaspersky Betas I've used have been as unstable as this one. I would actually recommend that you pull this Beta and, as Beta 2 is going to be different in design (according to you) with more functionality - wait until that's finished...and then, when you've tested ALL the issues already raised in this forum - push it out again.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  7. JeremyWW

Well, hmm....I went away (as promised) and tried KAV and Avast. Don't attack me on my conclusions - they are my opinions, that's all. But with people getting frustrated with ESS problems, including me, it's worth coming back here to recommend that we hang in there. I'm sure Eset will get this product right. Just hope it doesn't take all year...!

Conclusion: KAV works, BUT it's a top heavy solution. Security and functionality at the expense of machine performance and surfing speed. Take a look on their forum for the many posts from people complaining about web page loading times and general 'slowing down' issues. There are also several who announce there that they have 'stopped short' of purchasing a licence after running the trial - for the reasons above it would seem. And...a couple who are so frustrated that one mod is recommending that they ask for a refund.

Avast: It works, doesn't slow anything down but, well, you just don't get that nice warm feeling that you're fully protected. There are no heuristics of any consequence in the product and people are concerned about that. There are a number of posts concerning 'missed viruses' - that's not really forgiveable in an established AV tool.

So, with nothing else worth comparing to (again, in my opinion) - I'm back with ESS, determined to put up with all the Beta 'quirks' until we get some stability. I re-installed this morning and, fingers crossed, nothing has gone wrong - have the latest updates fixed anything? Can Eset address issues in that way? I'm assuming so, as the scan has just completed successfully and I've had no crashes or failed start-ups yet...

Jeremy

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Without reading the whole post in details , I would ask again "Did you contacted Eset beta support who will provide you with professional help" . I had the same problem (if you remember me here , post #8) , Eset Support helped me (as always) . So , please , act like a grown-up and do what should be done :thumb:

9. JeremyWW

I'm going to take exception to that and suggest you apologise. I did not come back here and shout / scream like some. I came back and:

1) Suggested that I'd been hasty.
    2) Complimented Eset and suggested that anyone else who is frustrated (and there are many here who are) should hang in there and stay with Eset.

I wrote a considered post. Personally I believe that to be more 'grown up' than many who post there childish cr*p in this forum. Some of those should know better.

For your information, I do communicate with Eset support, find them responsive and I have said so. In fact there was no need for me to repost here at all. The purpose was to share my experiences. If, and I suggest you do, read my post carefully you'll see that I am not spoiling for a fight and am merely offering my opinion. You, however, have taken to using insulting language, which I consider childish in itself.

Jeremy

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I reinstalled Beta 1b and it is working very well here.

To be sure, if you experience problems using the beta, it might be better to wait for a release version.

11. JeremyWW

Thanks - I'm still considering that. I'm giving the Beta one more chance (for me anyway). What I'm basically saying is that I think ESS will be the best when it's released. It's just a question of whether I can stand the pain on the way there. I just tried a very slow, careful install / setup process and so far I've no issues at all. Imaging the disk at this point just in case, and hoping for the best. Thanks for not being rude!

Jeremy

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sorry about the insulting language , Jeremy :ouch: :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.