Old DOS programs and Workstation 9.1

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bemis, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bemis

bemis Registered Member

Can I hot image an XP pro system while it's running an old DOS program?

The key is to make good backups OF the stupid Old DOS program. (It's an auto shop database called Garagekeeper from the early Pleistocene era)

Has anyone done this? Is anyone afraid?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bemis,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that in case of creating the image of entire hard drive or separate partitions (with operating system and application installed) you will have the operating system and the application working correctly after restoring this image.

We recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

You can visit Acronis online store in order to purchase the product (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/sales/online/).

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Ivan Sarychev

3. SatTracker

SatTracker Registered Member

Hi Bemis,

If you backup while your old DOS program is running, you run the risk of NOT backing up changes to the system that you are making while you are running your program - and if you attempt to restore from that backup, there is a distinct possibility that your old DOS program may not work properly - all depends on the files being created, databases altered, etc.

Take the time, shut down ALL programs - then do your backups... it's A LOT safer that way.

4. bemis

bemis Registered Member

Hmm. These are contradictory responses. Who is more certain? Who has direct experience?

SatTracker, have you been burned in this situation?

5. SatTracker

SatTracker Registered Member

Yes, I have been 'burned' doing a backup while DOS... and windows programs are running. The problem is that the backup can exclude the data you are working on, and it does not get written to the drive during the backup. You ~could~ wind up having all your business data corrupted.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to run some programs during a backup - if that program isn't creating data that must have. Go play solitaire - it won't matter when it comes to backup restore, solitaire will run ok. But, in your case, you're dealing with a program that helps run your business... and I sure wouldn't want to bet on it being in good shape after restore, if it was running, and you were updating data in the program during backup.

Best of luck to you...

6. bemis

bemis Registered Member

thanks so much. It's pretty tough to get definitive answers on these htings and I appreciate your help. I have one last question that maybe only you would be able to answer:

do you think that if the DOS program is open but not being used (everyone went home but left it open on their computers) and the 'server' did a backup, there would be a problem? Is it data entry during backuip or open DOS programs that threatens to burn?

7. RockyCore

RockyCore Registered Member

I'm detecting some contradictions here, unless I'm terribly misunderstood.

You mention an old DOS program - while running XP Pro ?

To my knowledge this is not possible....unless you mean you are running something that runs in a CMD window, in XP Pro ?

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The biggest risk is that TI doesn't capture any activity made while the backup is running because the DOS program does not update the disk in the same manner as Windows apps. Just how likely that is, I don't know but I would certainly be testing before I trusted it.

You can avoid all this nonsense by booting your "server" machine that has the database on it with the TI rescue CD and making an image without Windows running. The HD is totally static in this configuration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.