Old Backup discs can come in handy

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mickiem, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickiem

mickiem Registered Member

Wanted to point out a situation where even older Paragon apps can be invaluable.

On a unusual project, getting an old win98 laptop running XP, I was saved by a Paragon Backup 8.5 CD I had held onto -- more recent versions of *nix [including those on more current Paragon boot discs] & WinPE-type discs were no good because of the tiny amount of system RAM & old [400 MHz] CPU.

FWIW the procedure I used -- which no doubt could be improved -- was to create a Windows VPC VM, install XP SP3 with all updates, strip files that weren't absolutely necessary, turn off all eye candy & extra services, test, & then outside Windows VPC mount the VHD, adjust the partition, & finally perform a partition backup using that Paragon CD. To perform the backup I attached the VHD to a VBox VM along with the CD, & using Paragon Backup 8.5 burned the backup directly to CD. The reason for the extra work in the VM was 1) I was afraid the laptop hdd would be too small to hold the setup & Windows files during install, & 2) as I later confirmed with additional hotfixes, I was afraid installing updates using that old CPU would take forever. As it worked out, after restoring the backup to the laptop I had to do a repair re-install, as the laptop wouldn't boot into safe mode, & I had to do a few more updates, removing a couple of hundred MB that they added.

The result runs well enough that I've ordered a RAM upgrade -- a whopping 128 MB to replace the 64 MB card in there now (it's the largest available) :-0 . And at the end of the day, by giving it another life browsing the web & running small apps, that's a little bit less in some toxic landfill.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The old discs were much faster for me.

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

That is one area where Paragon could improve their offering - the linux discs are not as widely compatible as they could be.

They work on most machines, but they are slow to load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.