ok to turn off router firewall?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stratoc, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Hi, I recently changed from copper wire broadband on my phone line to 30 meg cable, as nice as it is to download much quicker the router, a virgin media super hub made by netgear seems to be causing lag on all but 1 of my on line games.
    Router has firewall (states will perform SPI and protect against DoS attacks) and IP flood detection enabled by default.
    Running pingtest it fails (f) on th fact 90% of packets lost due to ip flood kicking in. If I disable this I get an A. their support won't commit to anything.
    I run eset smart 4.2.71.2 on default (automatic firewall settings)
    Am I safe to turn off my router firewall and ip flood detection?
    connected by hard wired ethernet cable
    windows 7 64 bit.
    thanks

2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I got same response from virgin. Like I said it's new, and it's going back (after a weekend of poor gaming) I may try sky later but will live with copper wire for the time being. To be honest, following the forums I think they need an upgrade a lot more than me :D

3. DrewD

DrewD Eset Staff Account

Ideally security should be applied in layers.

We can not advise you to disable the SPI firewall in your router.

If possible determine if your router has QOS functionality, or consider purchasing a new router if you are experiencing latency with your connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.