OK. NOW how about ANY favorite FREEWARE program!! (Links too, if possible)

Discussion in 'polls' started by sk, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Anyone try script defender by Analogx? Good program?

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/sdefend.htm

How does it compare performance wise to Script Sentry?

http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/scriptsentry.asp

Also if one is using proxomitron, any need to install a script type protection program if using the following filter:

Name = "Disable All Scripts except JavaScripts (script tags)"
    Active = TRUE
    Multi = TRUE
    Bounds = "< script*> "
    Limit = 256
    Match = "< script*LANGUAGE = (^$AV( (java|j)script*))$AV(\1)*"
    "&(^*language="ShonenScript"*)"
    Replace = "<!--killl [\1] --> \r\n"
    "<script language="ShonenScript">"

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I tried Script Deffender by Analog X and I thout it was an alright program. I just like Script Sentry cuz it runs in the background. You don't even know it's there unless you control+alt+del and see it there. ;)

3. peakaboo

Thanks Not-A!

Three final questions if you get a chance:

1) Does script sentry kick in defensively when you run either of these two on-line tests:

http://www.netcult.ch/elmue/Security.htm

or

http://www.lockdowncorp.com/bots/testyourbrowser.html

2) Also can you add or configure script sentry to intercept new script extensions as needed?

3) Finally, do you remember how much of a resource hog (light medium or heavy) script defender was ?

TIA

4. notageek

Hi Peakaboo , As for checking them links I know for a fact that if you click the lockdown and have avg resident running it will intercetp it as a vbs that can harm your computer. But I'll click and check them later when I have a little more time. As for the resourse i'm not sure If there's a difference. You can't add any EXE that's not already added to the list that Scrpit Sentry has on it.

5. peakaboo

Thanks again Not-A!

I got the same intercept by my anti-virus proggie on the Lockdown IE exploit test.

Speaking of HTA exploits, for those interested, you may also want to check out the link below (free proggie from the authors of Boclean):

http://www.nsclean.com/htastop.html

http://www.wilders.org/HTMLobj-647/htastop.exe

Sounds to me like the script defense program (script defender or script sentry) if one chooses to use, is just another layer of protection in case IE security (ha ha), Proxomitron, your AV (or wormguard if using this) is defeated.

Also sounds like script defender may be a bit more flexible as far as configuration (my conjecture only), as I think you can add other extensions to be blocked for script defender. I have not tried it yet but planning on taking a look soon.

6. notageek

Hi Peakaboo, the only think I like about Script Defender is that you can add more exes. But I found that you had to keep the program opened to use it. With Script Sentry you don't have to keep it open for it to work. I'm going to try to get a look at them links and let you know it Script Sentry kicks into effect when I run a test. I hope Proxo don't get in the way. ;) Thanks for the links for htastop.

7. JayK

JayK Poster

Correct. It associates WSH,JS,etc files to Script sentry so if you run them on your computer script sentry comes into play. I'm surprised Script defender doesnt work the same way.

It doesnt work it seems , if IE runs the script..

Of course you could just associate any dangerous files to wordpad, but Script sentry tries to tell you what the script will do...

8. I ran this test...

http://www.netcult.ch/elmue/Security.htm

and I have IE Clean and Script Sentry installed ...

This is what happenned..

I was in complete privacy with IE Clean installed..

Then I disabled IE Clean, Ran the test again.. Script Sentry did not activate and I failed the test..

Then I reactivated IE Clean again..

Passed the test again..

Very Interesting....

9. peakaboo

From what I understand script sentry (& script defender) only kick in after the nasty has penetrated your real time browser defense and made it to your hard drive.

It protects you from running malicious scripts on your machine unrelated to browsing.

You actually should run both defenses like you are doing.
    You never know when some real time browser malady will make it past download function and onto your hard drive. Good example is some malicious script you might catch thru email.

Proxo does the same thing as IE clean, lots of stuff being picked off at that test site:

Kill Dynamic HTML JavaScripts
    Disable JavaScript
    Hide Browser's Identity from JS
    Disable All Scripts except JavaScripts
    Disable JavaScript

10. Bah

Bah Guest

Actually, I submit Script defender and the like are totally useless for filtering scripts that are run from IE. Those are usually embeded in HTML, so Script defender which only excutes on raw JS,WSH,Reg etc never ever kicks in.

The only way script defender kicks in is when a security flaw in IE /Outlook causes a script to be excuted on your computer..This is equalavant to you clicking on a attachment that says JS or reg to run it.

And more. A sample of what mine does include

Block referrers
    Prevent link tracking
    Adjust website rendering of my favourite sites
    Filter well known webcounters
    spoof "X-forwarded for headers"

The possibilities are endless

Proxo is a HTTP proxy, it can filter basically anything sent from the server to the browser and vice versa, hence it is very powerful espically in the hands of skilled users. The first and main line of defence in web-browsing for most people I suspect.[/quote]

11. notageek

It's true, Proxo is a great program. Why waste time with Web Washer when you can run proxo. :) The best part of running proxo is i'm learning somnthing new about the program everyday 5 mintues lol.

12. peakaboo

Not-A,

You are welcome for the hta stop link.

I installed Script Defender version 1.02.

Nice program.

Just for the record, Script Defender V 1.02, the version I am using works similar to how you said Script Sentry worked.

Script Defender runs silent until one of the configured extensions tries to execute.

Apparently it is set to intercept execution calls.

The program comes with a safe Test vbs script if you want to test Script Defender once you have configured it.

When I executed (double clicked) Test.vbs, script defender jumped into action with the following message:

A request to execute a potentially dangerous script has been made:

Test.VBS

Script Defender then gives you the option of Executing the script or Aborting.

Nice thing about Script Defender is it is configurable (you can add extension) and it jumps into action only when one of your configured extensions attempts to execute.

The program default extensions are:

.VBS,.VBE,.JS,.JSE,.HTA,.WSF,.WSH,.SHS,.SHB,

I added the following extensions, and will probably add a few more later:

.CSS,.PIF,.CHM,.WSC,.SCT,.EML,.WMD,.ASF,.CPL,.CRT,.ADE,.ADP,.BAS,.BAT

For those who wish to try this program here is the link:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/sdefend.htm

on-line test for script/extension vulnerability:

Test page for Word documents in frames:

http://www.computerbytesman.com/acctroj/iframe.htm

the above link will test your Script Sentry, Script Defender, WormGuard, or other mechanism to defend against this vulnerability.

clue: you may want to add .DOC to your list of Script Defender extensions ;)

13. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I like Script Defender also. :D
    Had it for a little while and am pleased with it, so easy, light to use.
    TAS

14. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi peekaboo, tassie...

Would you please tell me if Script Defender works with windows xp? I read your posts and I'd be interested to know a little more about the program. Thank you! Uguel :D :D :D

15. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

All analogx software are XP compatible ! ;)

16. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi FluxGFX!

Thanks a lot! Uguel :)

17. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

New Person's Guide to Free Stuff

1: www.freewarearena.com
    2: www.webgrid.co.uk
    3: www.under1mb.com
    4: www.freewareposse.com
    5: www.freeware-guide.com
    6: www.hmdejong.myweb.nl
    7: www.r2.com.au

18. Vegikens

Vegikens Guest

Hello, I've discovered this site a few months ago, and it has been a great help in securing my box.
    Anyways, I'm wondering why you haven't added the mother of all tweaking programs: X-Setup. It has way too many features to talk about, so go check it out @ www.xteq.com
    I get all my computer related stuff from this site: http://members.aol.com/axcel216/, if you're interested. Don't try visiting it with Firebird [aka Phoenix], because it tries to download the index.htm file. I would recommend using Opera or AvantBrowser [IE based].

Regards,

vegetasnj [aka Vege]

www.y4ls.vze.com

19. JayK

JayK Poster

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/about2003PL.htm

20. Douglas

Douglas Guest

That's a great site, JayK.
    Son of Spy did a great job starting it.
    Do you think it's still as good in its choices?

Regards,
    Douglas

21. JayK

JayK Poster

Fairly good I guess. As good as you can get from the LCD of a group of windows using people. Only a few of the guys who frequent the group, can be said to be even halfway competent though...

The last time I read the group, the advice given by some of the "regulars" were misinformed and full of half understood myths and urban legends at best, and totally wrong at other times and extremely misleading.

22. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi JayK!

Oh, I dunno about that. From the look of it, it would be comparable to any forum or board with which we are now familiar. LOL (j/k)

There are some very useful little freeware apps at that site. It has helped me to find things/apps that the commercial vendors do not want us users to know about. ;)

When Internet began, freeware and opensource were first because it was started by a bunch of scientists who wanted to share information. Commerce came along much later when they saw it had profit potential as more and more people were climbing aboard. There's a lot of excellent freeware apps, some far surpassing those purported to be "better" because you gotta pay for them.

I was on Internet back when it first started. Imagine Internet without Windows. LOL I had my Digital Rainbow 100+. All of my application software was freeware. We were all busy writing programs and routines in DOS and giving them to each other. Didn't need much. It still surprises me that people will pay for what they can get for free. I suppose it's a matter of choice, opinion and expertise.

My all time favourite freeware app would have to be IrfanViewer. Written in the spirit of the DOS pioneers! :D

23. JayK

JayK Poster

Well there is bad advice..and then there is BAD advice. Someone who asked for a EE alternative to clean his tracks securely, is referred to myie2 is simply not acceptable.

No question. I'm not doubting freeware can be good, or that the pricelessware list is bad, just that the group probably isnt worth joining regularly.

Alt.comp.freeware we are talking about is not full of the archtypical linux hacker open source gurus, it's majority of members are windows using people who just discovered there was another browser besides Internet explorer and email client besides Outlook recently :)

And get this, outlook might be getting into the pricelessware list this year... sigh...

24. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Hi JayK!

I see your point and you are right. The group at Pricelessware have become a bunch of greenhorns and this will change it into "Anyware: applications for the untutored and inexperienced users." Whee. :(

Maybe, with our combined expertise we could come up with a list of freeware apps, with links, which we consider to be absolutely excellent or close to it? I know Wilders already has a list of apps as an organization. I was thinking of a list compiled by people like us. What do you think? :D

Another favorite freeware app is from that Wilders list, "NewDefrag." It's saved me a lot of time. :)

25. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Favorite freeware? Anyone who doesn’t have the following two programs installed has my deepest sympathy because what it almost certainly means – IMHO- is that, unless you've figured out another way to do it, your paging files and Registry hives are in a mess and also that, one of these fine days, your Registry is is going to get badly mangled and you will have no simple, easy, safe and super-efficient way of restoring it o_O Or at least that’s what I think :) But seriously, guys, these really are two super programs that you should check out if you don’t already know them.

Details:

From http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

PageDefrag v2.21 by Mark Russinovich

One of the limitations of the Windows NT/2000 defragmentation interface is that it is not possible to defragment files that are open for exclusive access. Thus, standard defragmentation programs can neither show you how fragmented your paging files or Registry hives are, nor defragment them. Paging and Registry file fragmentation can be one of the leading causes of performance degradation related to file fragmentation in a system.

PageDefrag uses advanced techniques to provide you what commercial defragmenters cannot: the ability for you to see how fragmented your paging files and Registry hives are, and to defragment them. In addition, it defragments event log files and Windows 2000/XP hibernation files (where system memory is saved when you hibernate a laptop).

PageDefrag works on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
    -------

From http://www.webattack.com/get/erunt.html

ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

ERUNT works on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
    ----------

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.