OK - ESS and Windows Firewall XP/Vista

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by rapierau, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rapierau

rapierau Registered Member

ESS boffins - Im not comprehending this.

I have updated ESS to Beta 2 on 3 machines. 2x XPH boxes and one Vista Ultimate box. Taking into account the update and restart to fix the "your account will expire" problem all is good. I really like the new look of the GUI and the icon is new and well noticeable. (So was getting use to Vista but Im still using it)

What I have a minor problem with is the not automatic disabling of the Windows firewall across both OS's.

Now Im no expert but shouldnt there be only one firewall activated on each PC. If you leave the Windows Firewall enabled it slows down the network considerably and it takes at least twice as long to get to the ESS flash screen, and in Vista it is very noticeable when you disable the inbuilt firewall and count the seconds till you get that little world on your network icon.

Im sure other users of ESS could verify this.

Now why should we need two Firewalls enabled. We nearly all use a ADSL router or greater (each with inbuilt firewall) and then we have ESS to do the rest at the PC. Surely the inferiority of Windows XP firewall is not required and should be disabled on installation of ESS should be mandatory.

Im interested in your input on this. Yes Im aware that ESS's firewall does not meet all users expectations or is not fully configurable to their needs ATPIT. I have read the relevant forums on this site in relation to this matter, and yes, some of it is still above my understanding.

However this is now the third incarnation of ESS and although some users understand how to check for such things alot dont. Therefore ESet should release a product that sets up the defaults as best as possible for the end user. (If however you find my argument flawed and that ESS will function correctly with both its and Windows firewall running concurrently with NO detremental effect on performance I will cease and meantion this no more)

Im interested on people's opinion on this. To run two antivirus products concurrently is not good. Two firewalls I assume also. Two antispyware OK depending on how they interact (One realtime - the other on demand - maybe).

ESet - Im not knocking what you have done - its good and Ill more than likely get a license/s when you go retail. But this is the third incarnation and we have no idea what you have fixed and what is still outstanding.

Ill be going to look for javascript trojans shortly and hope the implementation of protection in this matter on Vista has been improved. ie.. no more ESS kernal failures and restarts and hopefully "connection terminated" messages as we use to get when using Nod32 in XP.

OK - you can all slam me now.

Sincerely.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Anyone having a problem running Windows firewall + Eset personal firewall simultaneously? Two firewalls don't cancel out each other like 2 real time protections do.

3. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

windows firewall is disabled here - was automatically so

Ruben

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:D :D :D

In SP1 XP the ICF is not disabled upon install . I for sure tried ICF + ESS => no problems , serioursly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.