OH NO Help!!!!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by cheeky neewbii, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gents,

PG crashed, than when i restarted i have found that under the program protection tab all my programs have dissapeared to be replaced by standard windows .exe icons and everything else blank. All privalages have dissapeared - blank. Fortunately i saved my protection list. How do i reset the setting according to the saved file or do i have to start from scratch, this has happend 4 times lads whats going on............

cheers.....have a good weekend

scn

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi cheeky neewbii & welcome,

Why it has done it? I'm not sure, have you recently run any major updates? with PG enabled?

Your best bet is to disable protection, kill DCSuserprot.exe using task manager, navigate to \windows\system32\pguard.dat and delete it.

If you have not done it recently defragment your hard drive.

Is your hard disk in good condition? Can you please Start - run - then type chkdsk /f and enter. When asked say yes to allow the operation on re-boot.

Reboot and then re-add your protected apps to the protection list using your saved list as a guide.

What is your PC's spec - CPU, Ram etc?

HTH Pilli

3. Thanks Pilli

Will give this a try.

cheeky neewbii

4. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi folks, I've had the same thing happen, but only twice. I had backed up my list and simply "removed" the "blank" entries and then toggled the wizard back on, accepted the suggested files and added all the missing personal files manually. There have been a number of people asking for a way to import the backup copy of the list and this would be good. However, even better would be a way to prevent loss of the data. Pilli, you asked for hardware specs, I have WD Raptors in a RAID 1 config, I defrag regularly, both the system files at boot (every time) and others every 2-3 days. I didn't see anything unusual leading to the first loss, but started checking the list each day just after boot up. When I saw that PG issued an error stating that it had encountered an error and couldn't load, (I would have to do so manually), I checked and the protection list was again just blank entries. I tested using Task Manager and successfully shutdown products that were supposed to be protected. I haven't had a problem since, although as I said, I now check regularly.
    Jim

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Jim, I have only had this happen to me once and that was whilst beta testing, I could not define what caused the problem then but I was having a problem with hardware at the time:(
    I have Process Guard running on three machines including a laptop and they appear very stable. XPpro, XP home & server 2003.
    The inclusion of a restore option for the protected list is already on the wish list :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.