Oh man, is this stupid AntiVir freakin retarded or something!?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I have never had a single issue with my paid version updating. I have been running Avira on this pc since April except for a few weeks testing another suite in beta. ;)

2. MysteriousWorlds

MysteriousWorlds Registered Member

The Avira servers seem to up again now, at least.

And yes, as bellgamin has stated, the avira bashing does remind one a bit of the Comodo case.

Never had a problem with BOClean as of now.

I'm not yet using Comodo's firewall, though.
    I'll rather wait until the stable release of version 3 (which will hopefully have the promised language translation possibility)

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

4. poirot

poirot Registered Member

A little remark to my Kerodo friend,who said:

I just wanted to say that an Antivirus company provides a free software which
    DETECTS malware
    and in this respect Avira is the absolute TOP.
    The occasional malfunction/ delays of updating servers is just the second thing,not the first.
    Avira can have a return nonetheless.

Sometime i'd like to pay even for a free software when it shows extraordinary capabilities, like for instance PowerShadow,Boclean or Avira Antivir.
    In this latter instance i did not find too grievious on my wallet expending € 20 to have the well known detection& the well known speed of the paid version server.
    Considering the importance of an antivirus i cannot understand why people complain about spending JUST € 20 euros or 26$ ,when it amounts to a very little sum of money, especially in relation to much more hyped softwares which cost three times as much.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

The free Avira, slow servers notwithstanding is quite a good value, it features good heuristics combined with the newly added root kit detection and removal and good scores in tests done is a very good offer, free or paid, just like Avast.

6. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I have had a slightly different (but still update related) problem. I noticed that I had not had an update since the 17th, and whenever I manually checked for an update, I'd get an error message... "a connection to the internet cannot be produced".
    I downloaded the fusebundle, which went fine but I still could not get any updates from teh server.
    About half an hour ago, I tried the repair thingy (add / remove programs -> avira -> change), and my pc promptly crashed, and restarted itself.
    I have never done a repair install before, but I don't think it's meant to do that...

Anyway, after my pc had rebooted itself after the crash, I can now get updates again :D

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

During several months of using Avira Premium I never had a single update problem. It ran well and without any problems.
    Having never used Classic I cannot comment on their problems updating, but from reading the forums it has been a constant problem.

When it get down to it, if Classic does not update and causes concern, then go to something else. If you want to use a free AV there are a couple of others that have a wide following.

Life is too short to bother much with unsatisfactory software.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Amen to that :) :thumb:

9. MysteriousWorlds

MysteriousWorlds Registered Member

Considering it's excellent heuristics and huge database size, I am not sure if one should really turn to another free antivirus with much smaller database, just because Avira classic sometimes tends to have problems with immediate updates.
    Of course this could mean your system therefore is more woundable towards the newest threat of the hour, but remember: it's not always quite the most actual malware one's machine gets infected by, but even lots of ITW viruses, some of them probably longer around out there, as we might imagine, are still threatening the surfer who dares INTO the wild(erness) of the web.

New malware won't simply "jump" on your average machine. If you notice your AV doesn't update at the mom, then why not use the free version of "Brain 2.0 update 1" while surfing for the few hours the update won't work?

Greetings

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I got a 10MB update download for a Windows 98 PC. The size difference must be because XP systems use a different program version? o_O

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

all vendors can have issues but, the one thing I do know is, its the best suite for Vista, hands down.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.