Oh man, is this stupid AntiVir freakin retarded or something!?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I would get that error message on a regular basis. P***ed me off so much that I switched to Avast. So glad I did. No update problems, runs like a dream,feature rich and best of all better detection. Don't let the Avira classic fan boys fool you, Avast free does have superior detection. Oh and I almost forgot (how could I forget this) no nag screen.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If this happens on the install, just hit update again and it will go through fine. You dont have to reinstall.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've hit Update bilion times and each resulted with this clueless error.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well then I would suggest posting in the Avira forum for an answer.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm registered on 33+ forums. I don't have any intention to register on any other (anymore for some time). I'm back with good old reliable Czech technology from ALWIL labs anyway...

6. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Avast does not have better detection rate than Avira. Have you seen a reliable test that actually shows that Avast's detection is better than Avira? I don't think so. But I agree with your decision rejZoR. If it doesn't work for you don't use it.

7. interstate ron

interstate ron Registered Member

According to posts on this forum, just how reliable are "tests" per se ?

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I don't think so :D

9. interstate ron

interstate ron Registered Member

I agree with MalwareDie...move on! I also have had problems with avira updating also avast to a minor degree and others such as nav2007,kav and kis current version and several other heavy ones rushed out also. I am on dialup and I found out nod32 works wonderful on my machine. But remember this is "my" machine. I'm at the point where this counts foremost not ratings or tests.

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

RejZor,
    I had the same problem as you described in your first post. I read at the Avira forum that if you go to Antivir's folder in Program Files and click on preupd.exe that it might get the program to update successfully (it did for me at least).

Don't know why I'm using AntiVir Classic since I have a key for Kaspersky. Just a whore for antivirus software, I guess (like most of you...;)). I guess I like the experimentation. Antivir's not half bad though updates are a pain in the morning (great in the evening).

Later.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

RejZoR , I have started a thread at Avira showing them this thread and asking for their help. Give them till tommorow as it is night their. All you have to do is click here to see what they can come up with. They are very good people so be a little patient with them. take care.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

It happened on my PC running AntiVir yesterday during auto update, doing manual update removed the problem.

13. Beavenburt

I don't rely on tests, I rely on facts. Avast has spy/adware detection, Avira classic does not. Also Avast has the excellent boot time scan, a very handy feature. I don't want to bash Avira, I actually think it's a great product. They just really need to sort these update issues out.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok, first of all i'm not stupid and i did searched their forums and also checked the very same thread he gave there. Did an manual update and it was still failing on the rest of the updates still required to download.
    Besides that stuff with "saturated bandwidth" is the biggest BS i've ever heard in my life. Yes, we're talking software here like he says, but if updater failes because of "saturated bandwidth", sorry mate then you have a serious problem there in your software. I never had anything against download speeds from non-premium servers, who cares it would just take a bit longer. But when it failes completelly, then i'm pissed. And i'm sure others are also...

15. Beavenburt

Certainly doesn't make you want to buy the premium does it?

16. poirot

poirot Registered Member

you should get more informed before talking like this,Beavenburt:
    Antivir Premium is on a completely different server which,incidentally,is lightning speed all the time.
    I run Antivir Classic in another pc and i've found the speed to be better than it was a couple of years ago,though.
    I used Avast for two years,but i wouldnt go back to it-Antivir is far better now in all respects,detection and lightness being the pillars.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well after the sarcastic remarks over at Avira all I can say is dump them, get Avast and enjoy life. Damn these vendors are getting arogant.:ouch:

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder how people fight over their favourites/ software etc. I like Avira but if I will have problems like this, I will just switch over to Avast or AVG.
    Good that we have many free choices and all of them are nice.
    I don,t even expect more.

19. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Its very simple, if it doesn't work for you, just move on. But I never got any of such problem with Avira. My license is still valid till next year although I'm not using it at the moment.

I had severe issues with Panda and I had the same thoughts about its developers. But it worked nicely after a clean install of my OS. Not always its the fault of the AV software. Yeah that doesn't imply the AV software is always perfect.

Avira should follow the steps of Dr.Web and upload a new installer with all the latest update files since its update servers get clogged very easily.

20. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i saw the same GUI callback error, once, when updating antivir.. apparently, in my case, it was just a temporary problem with the update servers.. i was able to update antivir when i tried again, later..

maybe something is preventing you from connecting to the update servers..

something else that you could check, maybe your firewall is interfering with the antivir program.. i saw one post where a person was having problems with antivir and then found that the source of the problem was "zone alarm" where "zone alarm" was blocking some of antivir's dll files from loading properly.. adjusting the settings in "zone alarm" solved the problem.. i would think that some other firewalls could cause the same type of problem..

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's not the firewall or anything else (using Win firewall). It's just updater failing.
    I like Avira and guys behind it but they should seriously check the updater. Rememeber the days when all AVs had incrimental updates and AntiVir was still insisting on full update re-downloads? Compare that with current updater
    If they've come this far, why not finish it properly? They've done an excellent job on detection and GUI but updater is apperantly still their major pain in the rear.

22. pykko

pykko Registered Member

You have an answer RejZoR! :)

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Slow and unrealiable? Unrealiable for sure but slow? I was getting those updates at 100KB/s and my connection tops at theoretical 128 KB/s. So thats not slow at all...

24. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

@RejZoR
    My situation may not be the same. I had tried several a/v's but could only get AOL/AVS to work without problems. Before AVS, AntiVir was always my "go-to-guy". With the announcement of AVS being discontinued, I dropped it and went for AntiVir-no go. With other unrelated probs I decided it was time for a re4mat. When finished, I went straight for AntiVir and it worked flawlessly. The updater is still slow as molasses, but works. I didn't think AVS (or other Kapersky products) could be the source of the problem, but now I wonder. CHKDSK is lightning fast now too, not that I'll use it often. Not trying to blame AVS...just food for thought.

25. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i did have some issues with updating the free version of avira, but not with the "personal premium" version.. i have never felt confortable with using free av programs, but apparently millions of people do use the free version of antivir and that is probably why their servers are overtaxed..

imo, it would help if more people would help support avira by using the "personal premium" version.. :) the price is right, about half what other av-vendors charge..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.