offthepost.info redirect to Pinterest.com

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by davexnet, Sep 24, 2015.

1. davexnet

davexnet Registered Member

Hi all,
    I noticed that if either Ublock Origin or Adblock plus is active in Firefox, attempts to view the
    articles at the above mentioned website redirects to Pinterest.com after 2 or 3 seconds.
    For example,
    http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2015/09/sir-alex-ferguson-disagrees-with-louis-van-gaal-over-man-utd-new-boy-anthony-martial/

If the ad blockers are disabled, the article is displayed "properly", albeit with a bunch of
    all singing, all dancing CPU-consuming ad banners. In fact, there is so much going on there,
    my CPU in Task Manager between Firefox.exe and Plugin-container.exe, nearly maxed out.
    In order to use the site so that I could read the articles I had to put the articles in
    "Reader View" - and CPU usage dropped to almost nothing.

Is this redirect to Pinterest when the ad blockers are enabled offthepost's not so subtle
    method of encouraging readers to whitelist the site?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  2. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Try this custom filter:

||www.offthepost.info^$inline-script

It prevents the redirection. This might breaks other stuff though, I don't know the site enough to be able to tell.

3. davexnet

davexnet Registered Member

Thanks very much, I usually use a news aggregator to jump directly to those articles so your filter works fine.
    Appreciate that.

Just out of interest, did you ever get a chance to investigate why PC/firefox/Ublock Origin blocks the video ads
    at espnfc.us, while Android phone/Firefox/Ublock Origin the ads get through. Here's an example:
    http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/4/video/2617056/fifa-group-has-zero-respect-for-blatter

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.