Offline Apps

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi All,

Does anyone know or have experience with running more than one off line app at a time?

PerfectDisk 7 does optimize offline (at next boot) windows swap file. Also Sysinternal's PageDefrag will optimize the registry, at the next boot.

Can I schedule both these offline events, for the next boot, without angering the digital gods? Or to do both requires two boots?

Thanks
    rico

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Not sure if you could or not, but there's really no reason to.. PerfectDisk will defrag everything during an offline defrag. Go ahead and just run one with PD, then look in PageDefrag and see the number of fragments left :)

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Notok,

Are you saying Perfect Disk PD will do the same thing PageDefrag does? It was my understanding that PD offline defragments the windows "swap file". And Pagedefrag defrags the registry. I'm probably missing a piece of the puzzle, bear with me while I get educated.

Thanks Notok

Take care
    rico

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

PerfectDisk leaves no file untouched, it does a very thorough job of defragmenting everything, including the registry files and metadata. There's really no need to use any other defragmenting tool with PD :)

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Notok,

Perhaps you should write for Raxco, as I can understand you much better than the rant from PD. They do not use the word registry. After your first post I visited there site & looked around.

How about this will PD7, do what ERUNT's NTREGOPT.exe does? Its my understanding that NTREGOPT removes the wasted space or compacts or removes space not required, by the registry. Also Registry Mechanic has the same feature.

Many Thanks & Take Care
    rico

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Notok, From PD7 help file what here says the registry will be defragged, like Sysinternal "pagedefrag"?

Attached Files:

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The registry is actually just a few system files. It may need to be offline to actually defrag them, but I'm not sure (PD gets a lot of stuff online that others are not able to, and I just recently defragged so I couldn't test it myself.. but it seems to me that it does). During an offline defrag they would most definitely be defragged, though, along with everything else.

This would be the same as PageDefrag, but not the same as NtRegOpt. PageDefrag defrags the file itself, where NtRegOpt "defrags" the contents of the file by rebuilding the registry without any empty spaces within it. To get an idea of this, you could create a text file and put in lots of lines. Then put several empty lines in it randomly throughout. PD wouldn't remove the empty lines when it defrags it, but that's exactly what NtRegOpt does.. basically consolidates it so your system doesn't have to pour over tons of empty lines to get to the relevant data.

Hope that clears things up :) Like I say, if nothing else take a look in PageDefrag before and after a PerfectDisk defrag and check the results, that's really the best way to see for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.