[Official Release] Returnil Virtual System 2007

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I first looked at this program about a year ago. Returnil Virtual System has matured into a very nice software with no problems here, I really like it - well done!
    Look forward to see how it will progress further.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s really nice. Did u try it on VM?

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, I feel one thing missing, that is, no option to protect all the partitions like PowerShadow and ShadowUser! I hope they can implement it in future.

It has replaced ShadowSurfer on my notebook.

4. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone knows if the VP file is allowed to be stored off the C into another logical partition or external USB ?

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi yankinNcrankin,
    Yes and no. You can store a backup copy, transport the VP, and change VPs by saving it to the root RVS folder, but it cannot be used from an alternate partition. That is, the VP must be in the root folder for RVS to mount it.

We are working on a new solution that addresses this and some other ideas we have that is different than a strict RVS implementation. We should have more news in the next couple of weeks or sooner...

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Do I have to turn System Protection OFF, to make "Boot to Snapshot" working properly ?

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Looks like i'm always the blacksheep in some releases and this one is no exception. I applaud everyone who is finding it greatly useful for them and also Returnil's developers for fashioning this program.

With the delay aspect first and foremost affecting my own use of it, looks like Power Shadow Master will continue to remain a mainstay for the foreseeable future 4 me.

Returnil performs, no doubt on that, but the delay at BOTH shutdown and more pronounced at startup is a real detriment that Power Shadow is never experienced for me.

Once again, i have had to concede Sandboxie, Rollback Rx, and now Returnil as programs that simply will not cooperate and/or exhibit unacceptable behavior.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I sure would just given the nature of the beast. I didn't try it with protection on, but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't work.

9. Coldmoon

Don't give up Easter we have not forgotten you. I needed to talk to the lead dev to get some advice and sent you a PM with the details. Sorry to keep you waiting and HTH...

Mike

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

PM received and many thanks. No, i don't give up, i eventually make enough time to drive to the bottom of matters of importance for a solution.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

According you, System Protection has to be more OFF than ON. :D

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

As per your own suggestion to me, why not try SessionLock :D

13. Peter2150

Because for the issue at hand which was booting to other snapshots, I just see the point of it. Stop and think about what returnil is doing, and with that I suspect it more likely will fail. Try it with Powershadow in shadowmode and see what happens.

14. Peter2150

Erik if you define things you do by risk, why have it on when there is little to no risk, and make life difficult for all the things you will need to save. IMHO it is much easier, to close stuff I don't need, and turn on Returnil when I go higher risk. But in either case you have to consider how a program works, when you go to do other things with sort of similiar software. Same as combining Rollback and FDISR.

Pete

15. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

If Returnil's way of virtualization is on RAM rather than the Hard Disk, what would be the recommended or the minimum amount RAM required for this program to run smoothly?

16. Coldmoon

Hello Tunerz,
    I will point you towards our site to save on a long cut and paste into the thread. For each page, see the Minimum System Requirements section at the bottom of the descriptive text:

Returnil Virtual System 2007 Business Edition product info

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvsbusiness.htm

Returnil Virtual System 2007 Personal Edition product info

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm

As you will see, both are identical as far as minimum system requirements are concerned.

HTH

17. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If I understand correctly, even though no changes to the real system are possible in the virtual mode but it is still possible to pick up active malware whilst in the virtual mode.

Would it be right to say that an app like Sandboxie would still be usefull to rid any inet borne malware on the fly by a simple delete sandbox contents rather than a reboot to virtual mode?

Whether yes or no Sandboxie has been here that long that I seem sorta feel naked without it regardless!;)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  18. Coldmoon

There are no know issues reported that I am aware of that show any incompatibility between RVS and Sandboxie. IMHO, there should also be no reason why you would not be able to include it as part of your layered setup.

You are really looking at complimentary functions here. RVS is there to make sure unwanted changes are not saved to your HDD and Sandboxie is there to help keep the same content from getting outside of your browser to make those changes.

Mike

19. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have DefenseWall so I can turn on Returnil protection then activate DW. After surfing I can clear everything out with DW then re-boot. I'm no security expert,but how can anything get by that?

20. Peter2150

Does Defense wall really clean everything out like it didn't exist. I never could tell that it did that.

21. Peter2150

Very definitely a layer thing. Both programs are fine together. In theory Sandboxie does the same thing without rebooting. But my real serious interest is I have two people using my computers and sandboxie, requires a bit more knowledge. With Returnil, they can just turn it on, do what they want and reboot. Much simpler. But I also like the layer thing if I am caught off guard. Sandboxie cleans it out, but just in case a reboot doesn't hurt.

22. controler

controler Guest

Back a few years ago I was asking why someone couldn't run their OS on RAM but I guess I was thinking more on the lines of the entire partition LOL
    And even with 1 gig a RAM you couldn't do it and the only external RAM I found were 4 gig PCI cards for like 3 or 4 grand. the company I saw at the time did have a small RAM based program that you could use to just run a few APPS in memory ( IE ) or your choice.
    I mean even back in the WIn 95 days MS created a virtual RAM DIR with their bootable floppy.

I am happy to see the rise of better technology in this area now.

link for extra reading: http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6492.html

Thanks

con

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.