[Official Release] Returnil Virtual System 2007

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I am definitely experiencing a noticable DELAY at reboot for several more seconds longer than is normally enjoyed. Now one can take this as a fair trade-off for the benefits of the security with virtualizing via MEMORY as Returnil uses, but i was under the impression that MEMORY virtualization would increase response as opposed to DISK virtualization and instead not inhibit at these stages of On/Off.

Perhaps memory is the culprit here? What is the recommended memory capacity suggested for adequate normal function?

Thanks. EASTER

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks Easter for your report. The only reason I am concerned as you well know is that if I uninstall PS 2.8.2, it will no longer be able to be registered and therefore is no longer free. I also know that you are testing with version 2.6 of PS. I am hoping that Returnil can fill this void as support and development seem outstanding.

@ Coldmoon, I understand your concerns as I share them also. I have very little knowledge of the inner workings of XP, therefore I have to trust the advice of others. I know that running two AVs is not good so I can understand that running two programs like RVS could potentially be a disaster.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep. Sure does.

4. Peter2150

Since I have only one partition, I've been able to evaluate it pretty thoroughly on my vm machine, and on my new lenovo tablet. Looks really great there. I can't run on my desktop because of the raid 0, but Mike said they are looking at that.

I think they've done a great job on this program. I was a disinterested skeptic at first, but am impressed enough to buy a license for the think pad.

Pete

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

@Coldmoon

I'm a bit set aback and looking for clarification if you would. This PROTECTION function cannot be entered into On-The-Fly similarily as entering shadow-mode WITHOUT A REBOOT?

I notice irregardless of protection ON or OFF, whichever selection is chosen requires a reboot which CANNOT be avoided.

This additional demand of Returnil required to switch BOTH into/out of virtualization coincides with my previous concern early on but was my understanding the term On-The-Fly referred to initializing virtualization or = Protection On without a reboot.

Just trying to get a clearer picture of exactly what is required or if i am missing something.

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

went using RVS can we defrag the C:/ Drive Whit out problems, or We supposed have caution like went some use fdense or rback Rx

thanks

7. Peter2150

Hi Easter

Assuming you have protection off right click on the systray icon and select session lock. Click Okay and you just did "on the fly" :D

Pete

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Gotcha'

Been so used to the PS gui to click into shadow-mode i didn't even notice the Session Lock temporary protection setting on Returnil.

Now if i can just determine if the Returnil reboot delay is acceptable or not. With PS the reboots are instantaneous in both directions.

I'm trying real hard to realize enough results from this new program to surpass what i enjoy all along with PS's command abilities.

I'm understandably curious why this memory virtualization technique of Returnil is not surpassing disc virtualization like PS on my XP. It's markedly slower at boot. :blink:

Any slowdowns experienced from the norm frequently wreaks havoc on any encouragment.

I'm convinced theres yet some bug which is causing the reboots to slow and/or not happen at all frocing a manual reset a second time. Hopefully others can confirm this is a problem they also are experiencing. I like to see this resolved since the program does well otherwise.

I Uninstalled Returnil and reboots have returned to normal again, including speed, so this is a positive indication to me a "bug" exists.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Okay this is great news, thanks.

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just been trying the free version of returnil, it doesn't seem to have any noticeable delay on booting or restarting on my system. No noticeable effect on system performance either so far. It also seems to run fine alongside PS, i actually have returnil system protection on right now as well as being in full shadow mode :). I don't know why anyone would want want to do this but nonetheless they appear to run fine together.

11. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Guys and Coldmoon

Read through the 5 page Returnil thread this am. Interesting but frankly the technical side goes over my head :oops:

However some knowledgable folks here already seem very impressed so I have a question.

I have run ShadowSurfer now for some months and have been very happy with it. When i feel like it, I just reboot and reboot and SS stays in ShadowMode. Only when I want to update stuff do I disable it.

Does Returnil work the same way. Also I have no idea how SS works i.e in memory or some sort of clone of the hard drive.

Is Returnil unique so far in this working in memory concept?

Any other advantages ?

Congrats by the way Coldmoon on this release. Folks certainly seem to be taking a serious interest in this one.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I installed Returnil Free in a test snapshot, equal to my actual on-line snapshot, but NOT frozen.
    The installation was perfect on my WinXPproSP2-computer.

I did a small test to verify the System Protection = ON and removed these folders from my system partition [C:] :
    - Microsoft Office = 234mb
    - Mozilla Firefox = 20mb
    - Mozilla Thunderbird = 23mb (the rest of Thunderbird is on my data partition [D:] )
    So I removed 3 important applications (= 277mb) from my system partition [C:]
    Then I did a reboot and everything was back and working properly. Unbelievable but TRUE.

I also reboot faster than in my frozen snapshot.

I still have to learn it, but it looks like an excellent replacement for my freeze storage of FDISR and rather Returnil, than PowerShadow.

Good work until now Coldmoon !!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  13. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

How does Returnil's procedure compare to having Rollback (or similar) carry out a scheduled restore to a specified snapshot on reboot?

Graham

14. Peter2150

Very similiar only you don't have to worry about picking a snapshot. Here is how I kind of see it.

Rollback, like FDISR I would use for software testing. I can install reboot to my hearts content, and no problem.

Returnil, is kind of like Sandboxie, in that I can surf with a high degree of risk, retreive something I download and blow away the rest.

Where I see returnil having a big advantage, is I've never felt comfortable sandboxing outlook for email. With Returnil if I get an email, from someone I know that has an attachment, but I have some question about it, I can immediately turn on Session lock, then check out the attachment. If it is okay, i can either send it to the VP and reboot, or just reboot, and any thing it might have done is gone. Attachment would still be on email and can be resaved. This is a simple procedure for anyone.

I just need Raid 0.

Pete

15. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Ok

Downloaded and given it a spin and I think this app is really, really neat :)

Answered my own questions really from earlier.

With protection on I can reboot after reboot and stay in virtual mode just like SS in Shadowmode BUT I have the extra option of doing some work offline, saving it, Session Lock and then fire up the internet. Very useful and very clever :D

Just one cationary note that I applied to ShadowSurfer as well. I always do my banking etc in a protection off sesssion just in case I have picked up someting nasty whilst in an earlier virtual/shadow mode. I.e go where you will you high risk surfers (not me I hasten to add), come out of protected mode which kills the nasties and then do the confidential stuff !

All in all though I think this is a great addition to the market.

Congrats :thumb:

16. osip

osip Registered Member

Very interesting indeed...Anybody knows how this one acts together with EazFix/RBrx?Returnil protects the MBR and EazFix/RB makes changes to the MBR...
    Is a session lock more adequate than system protection with this conjunction?
    Anyone tested?

17. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Curious about this too sence PS did not work for me. Maybe Returnil will. :D

18. Peter2150

I can't run Returnil on my desktop because of the raid 0, but in a vm machine, I have FDISR,Rollback,Sandboxie, and Returnil all playing very nicely together. Can't say if that makes sense, but work it does. Is that adequate protection by itself. I still run firewall obviously as well as an AV and SSM.

19. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello osip and LoneWolf,
    System protection is the same whether you prefer to use always on (System Protection Mode) or Session Lock. So the MBR will be protected in both configurations.

To achieve your goals you should make sure RVS Sys Protection is OFF to avoid any issues. This is similar to using a partitioning utility.

20. osip

osip Registered Member

Thx Coldmoon...I´ve just installed in an EazFix test snapshot.Installed fine and I choosed sys protection off without VP...I will mainly use it with session lock "on the fly"...Due to separate data partition and USB drive VP is not needed.Will test and revert later with impressions...

21. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

man this news is awesome! free for personal use? you guys rock. i never got powershadow to work on my desktop, i'm gonna try this tonight on my desktop and see if it works.

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The function "Boot to Snapshot" of FDISR doesn't function anymore with Returnil on your computer.
    It always reboots to the current snapshot, even when you reboot to another snapshot.
    So you MUST press the "F1"-key of the "FDISR Splash Screen" to boot in another snapshot.

For those who would like to have more than one frozen snapshot in FDISR, which isn't possible in the actual FDISR, Returnil might be the answer, because I installed Returnil in my off-line snapshot and on-line snapshot.
    Can you imagine two virtual partitions RETURNIL[Z:] on ONE computer ? I'm still ROFLMAO. :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  23. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Yeah got this running side by side with PS and so far so good. Very fast on my box no hang ups on boot.

24. Peter2150

Erik

I just tried Boot to snapshot on both my VM machine, and the thinkpad tablet. No problem. Needless to say I wouldn't try to boot to snapshot with protection enabled.

Pete

25. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Erik. I have Returnil on two computers,both with FD-ISR without the VP. I have no problems with boot to snapshot. I loaded the VP to start with but had a problem with PerfectDisk 8 not wanting to defrag so I re-downloaded without the VP. Now I have no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.