[Official Release] Returnil Virtual System 2007

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello everyone,

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/12062007.htm

------
    Michael Wood
    VP Sales Returnil SIA

Sales: returnil@returnilsoftware.com
    Support: support@returnilsoftware.com

2. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

It's free for home users! This is very generous. Thank you very much.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Am I reading right!

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, you are reading it right and I'm translating it right. :)
    I have it already, just waiting to use it until I get my license key for ShadowProtect from StorageCraft.

5. Coldmoon

Hello Franklin and Riverrun,
    Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you are asking if we have released a fully functional (minus the RVSMOVER utility) freeware edition, then yes, you are reading this correctly...

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

yes this is very generous and i thank you very much

7. Franklin

Well if that's the case it is definately going on my Vista Ultimate hard drive and may even replace PS on the other XP drives.

Thank you very much Coldmoon!:)

8. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Coolmoon, I am running 162.4076 downloaded from MajorGeeks. Do I need to remove it in order to download the free for home owners version?

9. Coldmoon

William,
    Yes please uninstall the previous version before installing the new Personal build.

Important: Though the Editions are essentially the same there are differences with product registration. If you are installing the Personal Edition after Beta testing the Business Edition please do the following:

1) Quit Returnil if it is already running and then uninstall your current testing version

2) Log back into your Admin account and delete the file C:\Returnil\RVSYSTEM.dat

3) Install the Personal Edition

The personal Edition comes "pre-registered" so when installing you will see the registration page show both a Serial Code and a Serial Number. DO NOT DELETE the Serial Number.

If you have already purchased Returnil, please download and install the Business Edition. You will continue to receive full customer support and free updates/upgrades for the remainder of your current registration period.

10. Riverrun

I'm overwhelmed by this. It's working like a dream. Thank you so much.

11. Riverrun

Well, PS never worked for me...

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Very cool! I wonder if RVS would live side by side with PS 2.8.2 for the time being? I don't want to run them at the same time, but keep PS installed for a while. Also, would Sandboxie run ok within a RVS virtual session?

Cheers, innerpeace

13. Coldmoon

Hello innerpeace,
    I would caution you to be very careful about using two products (whatever they are) with similar functions, especially when they use different approaches to thier technology.

If you are going to test this configuration please take the following safe-guards:

1) Please test it first in VMWARE or similar testing environment
    2) DO NOT use RVS System Protection and PS Shadow Mode at the same time. Turn one program OFF completely before starting the other
    3) DO NOT attempt to autostart both programs with Windows boot!

I strongly urge you to test one product at a time as there is no assurance that the drivers will not compete with one another causing unexpected or unwelcomed issues

As for SandBoxIE there are no known compatibilty issues.

___
    Mike

14. Franklin

Just installed RVS on my Vista Ultimate HD with the only other security app being Sandboxie and things seem fine ATM.

Haven't even tried a reboot as yet but will get back if any probs.
    RVS+SB.jpg

15. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Mike. Unfortunately I don't have a testing environment right now. It is on my to do list. I wouldn't dream of running both protections real-time, I'm not that brave.

By auto-start, do you mean enabling protections during boot-up? I have that disabled in PS because I currently use it sparingly. It does have a system process running all the time though. I have to click the PS icon, then enable the protection manually.

It's good to hear that RVS works fine with Sandboxie. I'm really starting to like these types of applications for general surfing. I also like the support and attention to the users your are providing :).

edit: spelling

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@Peter

Does it protect against KillDisk?

@Coldmoon

RVsystem.exe is necessary to run all the time?
    Are u going to implement protection of non-system partitions in future, like PowerShadow and ShadowUser?

Thanks

17. Coldmoon

innerpeace,
    This is what I meant but I also caution you on having the RVS and PS processes running at the same time. Even though you may not be using RVS System Protection/Session Lock or PS Shadow Mode, the respective processes make preperations for when the user decides to manually turn on thier protection. This is not guranteed to cause and issue, but will PROBABLY cause an issue. This is why you should always test before you try it on your real system.

aigle asked:
    No, if you want to have RVS turned off, just right click the Tray Icon and select "Quit Program". This will turn the RVS process off.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

@Coldmoon

First of all a huge congratulations on RETURNIL'S very first debut with the much awaited eagerness we share.

I also share the same concerns as above. Now i will say this. Shadowservice.exe always starts with Windows in my unit(s), it's a process and not a driver, i assume the driver gets going when PS shadow-mode is engaged.

I take it we do this at our own risk to install & run RETURNIL with PS already in place, or has your development team bothered to test this scenario?

Thanks and All The Best. If this pans out like i suspect it will, thanks a many more for this release.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Does RVS's system partition virtualization provide pc users sufficient 360 degree protection? As I can see it only virtualizes a body part( system files) of the whole machines(with many many other parts), and how solid is this shield ? I like to hear some reliability tests by gurus before getting my feet wet. Or perhaps developer can provide us some test results of so-called clinical trials ? I have heard a lot and a lot of sales pitches, and I need something to substantiate these promises. These are just some routine questions by an average Joe. And perhaps, Mr. Coldmoon, you can kindly persuade me to try your product with just three good reasons (in comparison with other HDD-based applications). Are you ready ? Have a nice one.

20. Coldmoon

First, thank you for the kind words and encouragement. Secondly, we did not test this type of configuration for the following reasons:

1) As with AV/FW developers, they do not expect or support the use of other similar products while using thiers. This is not a recommended thing to do...

2) It is redundant and would be wasting resources - use one or the other, but not both at the same time. While testing may show some setups where this MIGHT work, the trouble it could cause would be, at the very least, an unsatisfying result

3) It could cause unexpected issues

-----
    Mike

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No, no, no. You should know me by now. I never would task fate or in this case Windows by running BOTH programs at the same time.

I was referring to the earlier inquiry if it would be considered OK to leave Power Shadow installed but not running shadow-mode, and installing RETURNIL. I'll go ahead and do it myself and see what surfaces but i suspect nothing out of the ordinary unless of course as you elude to that one would try to run both in which case that might have severe consequences/bluescreens and whatever else.

Regards :cool:

22. Coldmoon

Hello Perman,

Actually there are two very distinct misinterpretations here:

1) RVS is designed to protect your System Partition and MBR. Though this protection could easily be extended to include alternate partitions (whether they be on your HDD or an external device) what would be the advantage to the user? Alternate partitions are where data, files, etc SHOULD be saved. By cloning these other partitions you are wasting resources and reducing the system's usefulness.

2) Returnil is not just protecting System files. It is cloning your System Partition in memory, On-the-fly, and will not allow changes to your real System Partition to be made with Protection ON. RVS is not a file filter.

The problem here is that we would be supplying the testing results. IMHO there should be a completely independent test conducted by an impartial and experienced Researcher. We would welcome this as I am sure would everyone else.

As for sales pitches, could you please clarify so that I can provide a more detailed responce?

We welcome all feedback whether it is positive or negative. One helps to validate our hard work and the other allows us an opportunity to improve our software and/or services.

Three good reasons?

1) It is free for personal home use, what do you have to loose?

2) We listen to your feedback and work extremely hard to address every issue our users may have as a working priority...

3) We welcome open debate and public testing of our solutions

We believe in saying what we do and doing what we say. But as I have said before, do not take my word for it, test it for yourself. Returnil is not a flash in the pan, it is here to stay and I look forward to the help it will provide to everyone who chooses to use it.

______
    With Kind regards
    Mike

23. Coldmoon

Easter asked:
    We can't say whether there will be severe consequences or not. But one thing to consider here carefully is the fact that both support features that allow the user to turn on protection without a reboot. To do this, both programs must "prepare" themselves to launch their respective cloning technologies at the user's demand.

This preperation COULD be incompatible so we recommend that you do not have both processes running at the same time even without using the protection feature of either program. Please let me know if this helps clarify what I was saying....

Mike

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

OK. Install went routine and A-OK. I have noticed some delay on-reboot but not unreasonable yet. You might bear in mind that my units are sensitively & strategically balanced so that the slightest delay becomes immediately evident.
    The start up boot is where i'm encountering some difficulty ATM. I'm examining closely whether this is to due to other programs running at start up or not. After regular system reboot, upon start-up i've had to repeatedly reset boot again and then choose "START WINDOWS NORMALLY" to get into the GUI. I'm not sure at this point if theres some crossover happening due to my use of Stardock Boot/Login Screen or not but at one point the boot screen went AWOL but the progress bar continued but no GUI. Another reboot and it climbed into GUI. (3rd reboot).

I will add this. With PROTECTION = "On" i installed a host of programs and then rebooted to confirm no faulty behaviors and verify that my installs were dismissed and they were. :)
    I applaud the virtual drive feature to save data. Very Nice. With PROTECTION = "On" there is no detrimental impact whatsoever on the system as a whole in any areas.

I'll continue to evaluate why it takes 2 resets to get into Windows after reboot instead of the normal single reset to enter XP's GUI. Like i said, a logical assumption i draw is that it might be symptomatic of my use of the customized BootScreens. Or maybe not.

All in all, this initial debut of RETURNIL is quite encouraging. Easter

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Coldmoon: Thanks for the responsive reply. My confidence in your product has advanced to level 2. :) BTW, in your capacity , everything you say I automatically regard them as sales pitch, no other profound meanings. Have a nice one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.