Official List of Defunct Anti-Malware/AV/ADW Applications.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mayahana, Jan 17, 2015.

1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Agree. Still using it, the free version on 98 and the pro version on XP. With version 2.0.8.583 of SSM free (not the last version) my present 98 unit is rock stable. The applications listed in this thread that require detection updates may be obsolete, but the rest are still effective tools.

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Indeed. The best part of that post: " It's best not to assume an insult and react to it when what was intended could be totally innocent.". I'm glad the calmer heads prevailed, and this thread is turning out productive, based on intent. I've actually learned of a few programs I had no knowledge of, and seeing their interfaces is quite interesting.

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Here's one people could help me find.. It was like PrevX in some ways, I believe the name had "Quik" or something like that in it. It was also a bit of a lockdown program. I really loved it, but the name has been lost in time.

Also, anyone remember Geek Superhero? Such a sweet program for the time. The developer suddenly dropped support with no warning after taking everyones money.

Attached Files:

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

V-Buster Antivirus.

Attached Files:

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Vexira AV - only $1.79 per computer back in the day!

Attached Files:

6. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

8. noone_particular

Unless I'm missing it, the only GUI image I see there is for the last free version. The last pro version looks almost the same. I still have copies of SSM when Max Burmistrov was the developer if anyone wants to try it. I beta tested for both developers. Unlike the versions released by System Safety, Max's early versions didn't automatically modify the rules for a child process when the parent process rule was created or changed. With these versions, it was very easy to lock up a system.

9. noone_particular

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I was referring to the pic on SnapFiles, that is even older than the one you posted.

Forgot about this, the WayBack Machine sure is cool, thanks.

11. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

Amazingly, the Zerospyware website is still up and active, and still taking money from poor saps who subscribe to it. I don't think definitions have been updated since 2005 or so.

12. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No it's offline, as well as fbmsoftware.com. When you visit either of the pages you get the following message:
    I don't think the sties have down for too long, as I'm sure it's only last year that I last visited them and they were up then.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

One of my all time favorites, Malware Defender.

14. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Also remember X-Cleaner to. Was referred to as the swiss-army knife for privacy minded users.
    Was quite the app for it's time.

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

:thumb::'(

16. pondus

pondus Registered Member

Norman is still at the consumer market https://www.norman.com/uk/home_and_small_office/products

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Spybot S&D may not be technically defunct, but it is to me. I actually started using it past its golden years for the Immunize feature, but stopped ever since the 2.0 bloat.

18. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Dr. Solomon's AV

IBM Antivirus

GreenBorder -- I loved GreenBorder (virtualization software sorta like Sandboxie). I was aware of some government testing at that time where GreenBorder was the only capability to stop almost everything. But alas... it was swallowed up by Google. There were only a few of us here at Wilders who used it.
    http://mashable.com/2007/05/28/google-greenborder/

19. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Memories...Spybot S&D was the first security software I installed only upon a friend's recommendation about 8 years back. I stopped using it even before v2 was released but I'll never forget that it was the one that removed a rogueware I had trouble with.

20. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Returnil especially RVS 2010.

Regards Eck:)

21. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    RVS 2010 and Returnil in general is not defunct with support continuing through to the end of current licensing. What has been discontinued are as follows:

1. v3.1x RVS 2010 Home LUX
    2. v3.1x RVS 2010 Enterprise Premier
    3. v3.2x RSS Pro 2011 for home
    4. v3.2x RSS free 2011
    5. v3.2x RSS Pro 2011 for business

The reason for discontinuing these specific variants is to retire the Virus Guard component. For those who still need v3.1x and 3.2x generation versions, RVS 2010 Home Classic, RVS 2010 Enterprise Classic, RVS Pro 2011 for Home, and RVS Pro 2011 for business are still available but are not compatible with Windows 8, 8.1, or the new Windows 10.

The new generation is called QuietZone (v4x) which includes compatibility with the latest generations of Windows as well as the same older versions of Windows supported in the earlier generations of our software.

Kind regards
    Mike

22. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Kingsoft (AV) has been acquired by Baidu, and will be discontinued. In the mobile field, Kingsoft will operate under the name CM (Cheetah Mobile).

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

NovaShield lives on....in a way. BullGuard incorporates the technology (develops it independently).

24. Firecat

Yes, Vexira and AVIRA - the two "clones" of AntiVir. I liked both better than AntiVir itself, though Vexira later switched to VirusBuster (another defunct company). Other names I recall are Leprechaun VirusBuster (later sold as Zondex Guard), eXtendia AVK and VirusBuster VirusBuster.

25. Firecat

On a side note, I wish to say that virus.gr was a good site to find out about new and unknown anti-malware products. This website has closed down as well. I hope life goes well for VirusP. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.