Office 2013 Will be released in Jan 2013

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by arsenaloyal, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Office 2013 will be tentatively released in the first week of January 2013.

Though there have been no official release dates yet Microsoft has released the Lifecycle dates for all products in the Office 2013 series individually example Word, Exel,powerpoint etc.

Lifecycle Start date is 09-01-2013
    Mainstream Support End Date 10-04-2018
    and Extended Support End Date 11-04-2023

for all Office 2013 products.

Windows 8 was released on 26 october 2012 and its lifecycle date started from 30 October.

More info here

Excel 2013 Lifecycle

and rest here

Microsoft Support Lifecycle

This has not been announced officially yet by Microsoft or any other website.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Subscription and retail licenses tied up to only 1 computer! Great! Next step, pass this policy to the OS.

How can I use the software? We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it. Under our license we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer) for use by one person at a time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Our software license is permanently assigned to the licensed computer.

Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may not transfer the software to another computer or user. You may transfer the software directly to a third party only as installed on the licensed computer, with the Certificate of Authenticity label and this agreement. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. You may not retain any copies.

http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=1782

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Damn, running legit software is getting more expensive, i gotta take the deal for W8. :D

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

6. arsenaloyal

they are going adobe's way. Making the PC software more expensive to attract yearly subscriptions .

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I'm sure there will be loads of people who still have files in .doc format... what will they do now if 2013 is dropping support for it?

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

My guess ... move to OpenOffice?

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I prefer kingsoft office except for the fact i cannot get the spreadsheets etc to display in english but the word processor works just fine.

10. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

That's exactly why they drop xls,doc and ppt. Open Office can't save (to this day) to docx, xlsx and pptx. So MS thinks "if we make interoperability harder, we will stop them from moving to Open Office". LibreOffice is ahead in this sector. As soon as Open/Libre arrive close to perfection in interoperability, i am sure MS will change again format, just to give them a hit.

11. Daveski17

Yeah, it's a good bet. OO should be compatible pretty soon though. Let's face it, how many computers in education or health care are still using legacy editions of MS Office or even older operating systems? I still save everything to .doc files & I am not having any problems. OO will catch up & hopefully LibO will fix its bugs. Take that MS Office!

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Please leave the discussion on merits of alternative suites (as in this alternative is better than other alternative because) for a different thread. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. er34

er34 Guest

Who told you that support for DOC file is dropped ?

Office 2013 - Word does support creating and reading DOC file + DOCX files.

The blog link (posted above by Kerodo) mentions only that Outlook 2013 doesn't support importing and exporting from/to DOC file, not that Office 2013 doesn't support DOC files.

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not sure if you were implying lots or few? I know in health care there are a LOT of XP and Office 2003 machines.

I think raising the price will more likely stop people from upgrading rather than pushing them to a subscription model.

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for that clarification :)

I misread the info in the blog link.

16. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks for the info!

17. arsenaloyal

your welcome!
    this thread is for information only and not to deride the said software or discuss alternatives!

18. Daveski17

This was exactly my point. I work in education, I still see a lot XP & Office 2003 machines as well. By the time that they have upgraded I'm pretty sure open source alternatives will have caught up with MS format changes.

Hmmm ... *scratches chin* ... I think that the jury's still out on that one. ;)

19. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Office 2013 isn't dropping support for it.

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I doubt they ever will either. That would leave little reason to stick with it. I work for a software company so we have been testing for compatibility and working with Word 2013 doesn't really feel much different (to me anyway) than Word 2010 other than the color choices now are white and 2 shades of grey rather than the blue, black and silver of previous versions. That and the simplified icons. Outlook is a tremendous improvement from any recent versions though. Much faster, especially with Hotmail accounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.