Off to a really BAD start

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by bellgamin, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I installed FDISR. I read the FDISR manual. I got good advice in this forum. So I decided I was ready to actually give FDISR a test run. So what do I find? The FDISR icon is in the system tray with a big red X through it. "Disabled". I activate "Manage First Defense ISR." In the bottom left-hand corner I see: "Status Disabled." All the pull-down menus are grayed out.

So I deactivate ALL my security & reboot (in case something was blocking it).

Same thing -- Disabled.

So I reinstalled & tried again.

Same thing -- Disabled.

So restarted & pressed F1. Got FDISR's screen. The only choice given was boot into Primary Snapshot. So I did that.

Same thing -- Disabled.

THIS is a program for disaster recovery?o_O

Any ideas?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hi, bellgamin, long time no see, or post. I have not read thru all of the above posts so I may be asking questions that were already answered. You said that you disabled all security, does that include Process Guard (if you even have it)? Do you have any kind of a boot manager or any partitioning programs? FD does have a problem with any program that demands control over the MBR; they all go to war over that vital piece of real estate! :(

Good luck,
    Acadia

3. bellgamin

No, I don't have Process Guard. No boot manager or partitioning programs, either. I DO have Acronis True Image which (I have heard) messes with the MBR. But I also heard that FDISR & ATI can co-exist. Maybe I heard wrong?

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Acronis exists peacefully on my system with FD but I have an older version, version 6.0.

Acadia

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have TI 9.0.3677 and FDISR and they work judt fine together.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've heard a lot of bad reports about problems with ATI with the advent of version 9, and this is why I have stayed away from it. Maybe any problems previously reported have now been fixed so it could be used with FD-ISR?

7. bellgamin

I agree with BigC & others -- I do NOT think ATI is the problem.

Such being the case, then WHY is FDISR disabled right out of the box, & what can be done to fix it?

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

bellgamin, do you have KAV version 5.0 on your system? Even if it is disabled it has already done its damage! :doubt:

Acadia

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There is however a way to fix it. Also re Acronis if you are using it do you have the Secure Zone enabled. That could cause problems.

10. bellgamin

@Acadia -- Nope, no KAV.

@Peter -- Nope, no secure zone.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You aren't using CMS Bounceback backup software by chance are you?

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Bellgamin,
    It's probably already too late, because your PC is installed already, but I
    - install winXPproSP2 + all drivers CD's
    - install "Total Uninstall"
    - install "FirstDefense-ISR"
    and then I install all my other softwares.

If you should have already troubles with FDISR right after installing winXPproSP2, you know at least that FDISR doesn't like your system at all.

Maybe it's for some softwares important that they are installed AFTER FDISR and not BEFORE.
    I'm guessing of course, but it seems to me that FDISR doesn't like your system at all whatever you disable.

13. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

On my system FD-ISR always shows a red X right after logging in.
    The status changes after a little while, as if services or software are waiting for each other in a queue.

Are you able to confirm that the FirstDefense service is started? If not: try to start it manually, and check the Windows events log.
    I hope I'm not sending you into fog with this advice?

If your red X is more permanent, then I suggest uninstall (program and snapshots) and install again after reboot.

14. ErikAlbert

That is also true on my PC, you have to wait for awhile until the red cross is gone.

15. bellgamin

@Peter- Nope. I never even heard of CMS Bounceback.

My IT installed WinXP for me. I shall uninstall FDISR. BUMMERS!

I bought Rollback but can't use it because it messes with the MBR. (Grrr)

I tried to use FDISR but it doesn't like me. (sob)

Are there any alternative software programs that do approximately what Rollback & FDISR are designed to do?

16. ErikAlbert

I would wait for the disappearance of the red cross first, maybe you didn't wait long enough and your Pre-boot Screen was working.
    If it isn't gone after five minuts then you have another problem

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  17. bellgamin

The red cross merely indicated the disabled status of FDISR. I already have uninstalled FDISR -- with FDISR's own uninstaller, then restart, then uninstall again with Total Uninstall. It is gone!

All systems are Go. Should problems later develop (which I doubt), I have daily ATI images dating back to the day after I began running WinXP. By the way, I ran Win95 then WinME on a 233MHz Packard-Bell for 9 straight years with never one disaster until a few weeks back. Ergo, I don't EXPECT future problems any time soon, but I do want to be prepared should they come.

I guess I should move over to the Software forum here at Wilders, to see if there are any alternatives to FDISR & Rollback.

Meanwhile -- my sincere thanks to all who helped me, both in this thread and the other one I posted to.

18. ErikAlbert

OK Man. Take at least good care of your image backup, because that is more important than FDISR.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks and Bellgamin: This is the same problem I have encountered a while ago when I have KAV 5 and ATI. Later I learned that both were the culprits. In the case of ATI, I had activated "startup recovery manager". After I have removed both features, the problem automatically went away. Just an idea for you to entertain.:D

20. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Yeah, gee I wish you wouldn't give up so quickly, bellgamin, but I absolutely respect your call on it. This seems like uncharacteristic behavior relative to everything I've experiened personally and vicariously through other users, namely those in these forums.

How about the ATI startup recovery manager that Perman mentioned ? I seem to remember, it was probably the first install of ATI 9 I did after upgrading from ATI 8, that startup recovery manager just totally froze or screwed up my system and I decided to do away with that little bugger and never looked back. I did have FD-ISR installed on my system at the time.

I am disappointed myself and think there's something lurking there that will be obvious AFTER if you find it (LOL). But, I'm certainly not going to recommend you pursue it if you don't feel confident with it.

You're already a step ahead of where you were a few days ago with an alternative backup system on the table. I honestly tend to agree with you that FD-ISR is perhaps icing on the cake in your instance (maybe that was a different thread:ninja: ). It sounds like you'll be in fine shape without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.