Odd Router Connection Issues (Router showing up as Access Point on some devices)

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zopzop, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

I'm having this issue with some devices not being able to connect to my router.

The laptop I'm on right now connects just fine wirelessly. But my Ipod Touch, my netbook, and my wireless printer can't.

They see the network, they correctly gauge it's signal strength, but when I select the network and attempt to login, it keeps unsuccessfully trying to acquire a network address.

I've noticed that when I mouse over the network icon on the taskbar near the clock, it says "wireless network connection (Access Point)".

This doesn't happen on my laptop, when I mouse over the network icon it just says "wireless network connection (name of network)", where name of network is the name of my network.

What can be causing this on some devices but not others?

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Often flashing your wireless router/wireless access point can help it be more compatible with some newer devices. So I'd start there.
    Also ensuring that your wireless devices have the latest drivers for their wireless NICs.

Ensure that the wireless security type that you're using is compatible across all the devices that you need to connect. IE...some devices may not support WPA2 is you're running that security from the wireless router/ap.

If your wireless router/ap has some proprietary "turbo" or "speedboost" mode...disable that and see if the other devices can now connect. I've seen that get in the way quite a few times...it's really meant to be used only if you're running wireless clients that use a matching/supported wireless NIC.

Another thing you can try, if you have lots of neighboring WLANs, many will default to channel 6, try changing yours to channel 1 or 11 so as to have less interference with yours. Also ensure your SSID is unique, not the default "linksys" or "netgear" that neighbors may have, thus confusing your wireless clients.

3. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Hello YeOldeStoneCat

I've tried those suggestions. The only thing left for me is to physically reset the router but that's such a pain in the .......

YeOlde let me explain the setup maybe you or another forum member can see what I'm doing wrong.

It's the Verizon router, the main router, and two things are hooked up to it through Cat5 cables : my desktop and another router (my dlink 615).

The dlink router is connected by a 100ft cord and is downstairs providing internet service on one network (called "home"), while the Verizon router is upstairs providing internet service on another wireless network (called "office").

I need two routers because the house is so big, one router won't cover it all. This setup worked for weeks, then all of a sudden nothing will connect to the Verizon router, even though the network (office) shows up in the list of available networks when you scan for them.

4. YeOldeStonecat

Ahh...a little more complicated. You're most likely double NATing, or....conflicting DHCP or IP or....well, lets dig into your setup a little more before guessing.

One of those Westell combo modem/routers that Verizon uses? Which model?

Now...how is your DLink connected (uplinked) to the Westell, using the WAN/Internet port of the DLink, or using one of its LAN ports....linking to one of the LAN ports of the Westell?

5. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

It's Verizon model MI424WR. My Dlink 615 is connected to the Verzion router's LAN port 3 to the Dlink's WAN port.

6. YeOldeStonecat

Ahh OK the fiber unit. What you have for a setup, I wouldn't say it's "wrong". I just have my preferences in how to set things up. Instead of having it double NAT'd and with 2x different SSIDs, I would recommend to streamline it into one single network with the same SSID. To do this, we'll need to reconfigure your DLink to run as a wireless access point, instead of as a wireless router. Not too hard..just takes a few minutes.

Assuming your Westell is at the default 192.168.1.1, we'll want to change your DLinks IP address to match that range...the default for the DLink is 192.168.0.1, I would change its LAN IP to 192.168.1.254. You can do that by connecting a computer to a LAN port of the DLink. Lets use a patch cable to connect to it for now, not wireless. Log into its web admin, you'll see LAN setup somewhere, and a location to change its LAN IP address. Once you "save/apply" that setting, you will lose your web management page. Once it finishes applying that setting (may take 30 seconds)...your computer will have to pickup a new LAN IP address in the 192.168.1.xxx range. You can ipconfig /renew, or just reboot. You should now be able to log into the IP address that you changed it too..192.168.1.254. Next...once you are logged int, disable its DHCP service. Reason? It will soon be on the same network as your Westell unit, and you only want 1x DHCP service per network. Once you've applied that setting...uplink your DLink to the home run patch cable connected to the Westell....but you will now use a LAN port of the DLink to uplink it, you will no longer use the WAN/Internet port of the DLink. Now....your computer will pickup the DHCP from the Westell flowing through the LAN switch of the DLink. Next...log into the DLink again at 192.168.1.254..and change its wireless setup to be the same SSID as the Westell. Make the security the same too..same exact security type and key. Now..the last thing....set the wireless channels of each so they're apart...make the DLink say..run on channel 11. And the Westell on channel 1. Once you've applied those settings....give them several minutes to settle into the new channels...and you're wireless clients to start picking up on the new channels.

See how it runs.

7. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@YeOldeStoneCat

Thank you so much, I'm gonna try this later on tonight. Hopefully it works. I'll let you know how it turns out.

8. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Ok YeOldeStoneCat, I set it up exactly as you said and now all devices see and connect to the network.

But another problem happens, some of the devices drop connection. The network icon says connected but there's no internet service at all.

For example, let's say I'm watching a youtbue video it will stream then just stop. Then no internet connectivity at all. This doesn't happen to all devices just some devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.