Obama, McCain campaign computers hacked

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by trjam, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

here

Now one would figure both of these groups would have some pretty good security protecting their stuff, but yet hacked. I am sure they were not using a suite from the local Mom and Pops store.

So it makes you wonder just how good are all the products we use. I mean it is obvious that if someone wants in, their going to get in.

2. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Workers,95% of them free.You get what you pay for.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

From the article:
    The way I read this, they were in "do it yourself" mode until they found that they had a problem. I wouldn't bet on either group having anything more than an everyday security suite installed.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Of course there is, for several reasons.
    • Why would a government sponsored hacker from China or another country waste time on a PC belonging to a common user? We don't have what they're looking for.
    • No matter who builds the security system, it's only as good as the user. Most of us know that the user is the weak link in a security package. The people in the white house could easily assume that their computers security system is the absolute best there is (designed by the secret service or the NSA), overlook the fact that the user is part of that system, and do something stupid.
    • It's entirely possible that an overseas hacker could have help working on the inside, installing or releasing malicious code that's never been seen by an AV or security app.
    • Most of us wouldn't have anywhere near the volume of traffic to deal with that they do. We don't have to secure such a large network, or cater to the needs of that many people, or worry about which laptop or disk one of them will lose or misplace next.
    • As individuals, we have options available to us that would not work in that kind of environment.

The white house is a high profile target with classified data many governments would like to have. None of us could draw that much attention from some of the worlds best hackers no matter how hard we tried to.

6. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

(From a CNN transcript discussing this story)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.