OA2 FW Program access rules

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by innerpeace, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Until I used OA firewall I had only used the windows one, therefore my firewall experience was nil really.

I have learnt a lot by using this firewall and am still learning. One of the things I like about it is that is easy for me to use. Also when something tries to connect to the internet and I don't know why I google (it IS my friend!)

I couldn't understand at first why when I played some music on my computer, even with all things unticked in media player, microsoft would try to connect. Now I know why because it's nosey and wants to see my music! - needless to say I block it. So when I first put the firewall in, I untick the box that says 'allow trusted to access internet' and run most everything I have on my computer once, block what I want, and allow what I want.

After that OA just runs itself, just the kind of thing I want, protection without fuss.

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Thx Nick, but does not help me.
    I tried some crazy extensions too to search but none did connect to internet.
    Not that I much want.

Windows Explorer, it is something I remember from way back. Used to bring some MS page when starting it? I do think it is not available with my current install. It must have been a win 98/95 thing.
    But I do remember vaquely that it was possible to put some URL address also in XP explorer. Not sure, anyways it is not possbile anymore. Not in my finnish language os.
    It remains a mystery.
    Also nice day to you.

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

svchost UDP IN 68(bootpc)
    svchost UDP Out 53(domain), 67(bootps)
    svchost TCP Out 80(http), 443(https)
    Can someone please tell me which service would need these rules so I can make the appropriate changes?

Thanks Gerard, I think everything that you show above I have disabled here, but DHCP. Even my Windows Time is disabled. I can always set my clock manually, but I haven't figured out how to wind the darn thing :p .

Seriously, why is your svchost UDP Out 53 needed?

@ stapp Yes, I agree about this firewall. I've been waiting patiently for it to be released. I'm trying hard to learn a bit more about the rules and also the HIPS. It's the next logical step for me before trying more advanced tools.

Cheers, innerpeace

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

DHCP, if you are behind a router, then you can disable this service and set a fixed IP for the PC
    DNS, You can disable this service, it just means that any program that requires this will make the DNS lookup itself (but svchost would still need this if windows auto updates is active)
    Windows Auto updates

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thank you very much Stem. I am making notes of this information right now.

Cheers, innerpeace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.