OA vs LnS/PrevX

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by whitedragon551, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I realize LnS is a pure firewall, but can be configured to be very protective if done right. Its light, fast, and simple for the most part. PrevX covers the keylogger and anti screen capturing that Panda Cloud Pro and LnS dont cover.

However OA can cover both LnS and PrevX SOL. And its not your standard FW. Im one of those people that believe less is more. By going to OA I could remove PrevX SOL and LnS from startup and drop from 2 startup programs to one. However Ive never used OA since I run x64 and the last time I checked it out it wasnt x64 compatible. If I went after a version Id look at the free version. However I also have questions regarding version differences between OA free and OA Premium.

Lets start with the differences between OA Free and OA Premium. What does Advanced Mode do that Standard Mode cant? What can Autostart Protection do that the Limited Autostart Protection cant? What exactly is Transparent blocking? And last but not least how effective is the Phishing filter and DNS Spoofing Protection? I assume these last two will be covered under DynDNS.

Id like to here comparisons between the two different options as far as usability, resource usage, effectiveness, ease of use, etc.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Why not try it out for your self? ;) Different people have different tastes,
    It's kinda like my girlfriend asks me "What should I eat for lunch?" My answer all the time is"It's your tummy not mine..."

3. whitedragon551

You replied to quickly. I updated the first post.

4. whitedragon551

I have been trying OA Premium and it runs nicely. There are alot of popups though and Im still confused on the differences between free and Premium.

5. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

Gday whitedragon551 if you go to options Mode and change between standard mode and advanced mode and the go to the firewall tab on the left and go through each section it will give you the answer youre looking for as to explain it to you is to technical for someone like me.

nessy

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

u r referring to oa free or ++ or premium version ?

7. whitedragon551

The entire thread is about the free or premium versions. The premium has the keylogger detection and such.

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

So if i have free oa do i need prevx sol ?

9. whitedragon551

I dont know. Thats partially what Im trying to figure out.

10. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Where are the experts o_O

11. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

experts can advise you so much - but they dont sit at your computer,
    dont know any other software you use aso. it can go fine - or be your
    worthiest nightmare

12. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Actually the free version has keylogger detection as well. I'm currently using OA and I switched from Free to premium and both have this feature

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  13. 1chaoticadult

I would say you might need OA Premium to replace Prevx. OA free is missing phishing filter and online banking mode, two features that Prevx has in some way. So unless you have something to fill in those features, feel no need for them or think you will be sufficiently protected without them, then OA Free would be fine to replace Prevx SOL. I hope this helps.

14. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

One of the best things you can do is put OA into learning mode and run every darn thing you have on your computer a couple of times so OA learns and configures all your computers habits. This will eliminate 90% of the possible popups. Then go into OA, click on options and put Prevx in the exclude list. I did the same with Prevx adding OA to the detection override list. Now the two work very happily together. You will still need Prevx for its all around malware detection and the combo of OA's HIPS and Prevx protection will make for a mighty tough combo. If its just the SOL component of Prevx you were wondering about then with them both on the exclude list they will work fine. Prevx's SOL is much more comprehensive then Online Armors keylogger. Online Armor's webshield tends to cause me slowdowns and it is mainly cued to Internet Explorers activeX behaviors. I have used both Prevx with SOL and OA Premium together for two years now without a problem...:cool:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  15. 1chaoticadult

Depends on the setup. Prevx might not be needed if it has another app with good malware protection. Yes I agree learning mode for OA is the best thing to do when you first install it to eliminate those annoying pop ups.

16. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I dont do any banking online and this phishing filter is not included in avast free ?

17. whitedragon551

Ok so OA Premium is more able to function in place of Prevx SOL than the free version. So now:
    And finally

18. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

if we need all the filters gosh golly we will end up having all the softwares ..one for fishing, one for keylogger, one for startup manager, one for zero day.. one for...:rolleyes: :D

19. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

OA free is more a HIPS with internet access control than a firewall. That's the main difference with both OA Premium and LnS.

What i mean.

1) Application xyz.exe wants to connect to another computer to the internet.

No IP, no port, no nothing.

2) In OA Free, if one process is allowed internet access, it will auto-open any port both outbound and inbound. I just installed OA Free and before i know it, i had svchost in, system in , 135, 445 and so on.

In OA premium i saw a screenshot where it shows IP and does DNS resolving and i presume that you can control better (before it's too late) what port opens, direction and what not.

20. Brummelchen

+1

btw - you forgot to mention RTFM...
    free vs premium ... RTFM
    advanced vs standard mode ... RTFM
    OA vs PrevX ... apples vs oranges

Prevx - for me - is with the first look at homepage http://www.prevx.com/
    NO designed Firewall - OA is. That is for me the essential answer.
    What do i need? A firewall - or a malware blocker?

I assume that prevX can allow or deny web - but how in detail?
    Only yes/no or by port/ip like OA?

PS ofc LnS is a pretty nice firewall - but not that much comfortable as OA is.
    the primary question i would ask you: what do you want to prevent?
    additional security cant really help if you click "ok" or "execute"
    (some events with adware - ok) - but i you want to use malware there
    is absolute no other instance than brain to prevent it.

latest issues with flash or acrobat (reader) - white list for flash, or complete off,
    other: replace pdf reader.
    There is no sign for "this flash is bad"

or latest LNK-issue on windows - turn LNK-feature off - means: awful desktop, but secure.
    next option: dont click unknown files or connect to unknown external media.

so prevx in general do what windows already has built-in: UAC and restrictions
    to execute unknown files - just uses it.

i assume you work as admin and no uac or low uac settings!?
    with admin rights anything is possible - included kicking prevx and oa without any notice.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  21. whitedragon551

Can none of you read the OP? :rolleyes:

22. Brummelchen

why are you talking about yourself in 3rd person? :D

i added some text - incl. the question: what do you want? and why.

man - we only can offer OUR knowledge in some experienced environments.
    but no one can say something for your system.

what i forgot - why do you ask about a combo LnS/Prevx vs OA and then
    talking about OAfree? there are really major differences between free and
    premium.

i dont rely on a firewall or av - the point here (on my system) is:
    * secure browsing: any content hitting my browser is hitting my system.
    i dont need to grab some balls behind the goal line
    * unsecure/unknown software: a sandbox will do fine
    * dont trust anyone - dont trust mails - even they are from friends.
    are you sure the sender is no spammer or other bad?
    * backup backup backup

23. whitedragon551

OP = original post.

I want to know these differences between OA Free and OA Premium:

We have already discovered that OA Free doesnt cover what PrevX SOL does, but Premium does. But how?

And then minimizing the amount of security programs. Going from PrevX SOL and LnS to just OA Premium since OA Premium covers both firewall and keyloggers plus adds a sandbox.

24. Brummelchen

25. whitedragon551

Ive seen the features and the definitions. However you fail to read what I typed again.

There is clearly a difference between Autostart Protection and Limited Autostart Protection otherwise they wouldnt have made the distinction between the two. So that leads me to what can Autostart Protection do that the Limited Autostart Protection cant?

Second what exactly is Transparent blocking? OA fails to define that as well in their definitions of their features.

Third how effective is the Phishing filter and DNS Spoofing Protection? That clearly isnt listed and if it was of course OA would say their own product is the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.