OA hinders avast's evo-gen/filerep detection!?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by avman1995, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I just had a person who tested avast and OA with a particular sample set that spywar gave,I tested the same pack with avast on while the pack was been extracted and since evo-gen works real time avast caught mostly all and left behind 2.

But when this guy disabled avast and extracted and manually scanned and removed and then enabled avast,started execution I was taken back by suprise,I didnt see any pop up from evo-gen,I am not sure,but I can certainly say that this is OA hindering the backend detection from avast by blocking most of the files earlier itself.

Here is the link to the test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3-T60VZn74

Avast should have caught the most with evo-gen and only left 1 or 2 behind but because of OA it doesnt happen,Uhm!??

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

did they add an exclusion for avast?

3. avman1995

I certainly think not,My main point is that,If OA blocks everything before execution it increases that user dependency line for these type of semi-real world condition tests.

Since evo-gen works in real time it will work while samples are being extracted but here avast disabled during that while so it should catch samples while execution which because of OA it doesnt.But as you see 7 or more samples were detected by avast's evo-gen while he was deleting the samples from the folder which is not the point,OA should NOT hinder avast's on-execution detections.

4. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

So basically OA is beating Avast to the detection?

5. avman1995

Yes,I mean,where avast should Have pick that file up while execution with evo-gen OA doesnt allow it but instead call's it as unknown or malicious and consults the user

6. spywar

spywar Registered Member

OA blocks them by doing cloud lookup with Anti Malware Network. Check files with hashes, all are classified as malware http://www.isthisfilesafe.com/

7. avman1995

But that shouldnt be hindering avast,because avast gets evo-gen detections from the VPS so that shouldnt be a excuse.I am not sure how this thing works out.But it surely doesnt allow avast to pick files with evo-gen atleast with OA on there while execution.

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

If I clicked allow in OA, will AVAST detect using evogen?

9. avman1995

Majority of the files after the on demand scan are blocked by evo-gen so yes for that particular pack,avast should be detecting almost 100%

10. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Evo Gen signs are released throught VPS as well as streaming updates. Maybe during the tests, Evo Gen was not covering them and during yours, they pushed new detections...Isn't this possible ?

11. avman1995

Impossible...I did the test even before that test was done :)

I did the test again with OA and it was same consequence.Then how the hell in the video,while the files were being deleted by the tester avast picked those up because it had the evo-gen sigs but during execution OA didnt allow it to detect it with evo-gen

12. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I bet if you allow the file through OA, that avast would pick it up.

13. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Basically yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.