OA FW no Ask !

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by StevieO, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I uninstall OA free and install the latest version, no probs, great.

On rebooting i inspect all the tabs etc and realise the FW is active. I was thinking of trying Outpost instead of ZA, but ok i might as well see how this goes, as it's a while since i tried OA with the FW running too.

First off i had to disable ZA stuff in Autoruns/Services/Drivers etc in Safe Mode. Restarted and launched FF & IE and several other Apps to configure the FW for Access, or not. Hmmmmm what's this, ONLY Allow or Deny ? I couldn't find ANY options for the FW to alert and ask every time anything wants out !

I don't want a rule that permanently allows Anything out, no matter if it's " supposedly " trusted.

So have i overlooked something, or as i fear, is this how it is ?

TIA

PS - I know OA is an excellent product, with great support, and the FW has achieved a very high standard as tested by Motsousec. All positive, but i want to be alerted every time if you don't mind.

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I think what you actually need is to untick "Create rule" checkbox.

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
  3. StevieO

alex_s

Thank you Sir, that did the trick !

I originally tried to just click on the Current Session Only box, but it was greyed out. I now realise that the Create Rule must also be enabled for it to work.

S

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Steve when you said first you disabled ZA in safe mode before using OA, does this mean you still have ZA installed or have I just misunderstood?

5. StevieO

stapp

Hi, no you havn't misunderstood at all. ZA is still installed, just Completely disabled/shut down from starting up and running. So no chance whatsoever of ANY conflict.

StevieO

6. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

The thing with ZA when all is shut down
    there is so many keys and such running its more
    than likely a real conflict going on, jeez just to un-install
    ZA takes an act of god!!

7. StevieO

GiddyUp

Hi, quite possibly there might be Reg keys that are loaded on boot, but i don't think they would interfere, i may be wrong of course. I'm monitoring things closely looking out for potential oops, but as yet none to mention.

I'm sorry you've had issues uninstalling ZA in the past. My expereinces have been very smooth when doing so. It could be for several reasons. I always install with TotalUninstall which monitors 99.9% of the process. Sometimes after installing, Apps update etc etc, and obviously there may be things that wern't monitored during install.

So i first use the Apps uninstaller, followed by TU's, then do a search for file names of the main App, then use a Reg cleaner. I find that way you make almost certain it's all gone. It has for me anyhow.

S

Edit - spelling etc.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  8. fax

fax Registered Member

Uninstall has been revised completely in latest version to avoid OS to lock ZA files during the update process. In version 9 no files will be allowed to stay when updating and confing will be loading from a separate file.

If you have a problem removing ZA use their ZA removal tool

Hope this helps

Fax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.