OA Free Questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by IceCube1010, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Sorry if this has been asked before but how does OASIS work exactly and does the RunSafer option protect your browser from drive by malware stuff?

thanks
    Ice

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

OASIS is a shared central database of safe files. OA checks against it to see if we already know files are safe, to avoid needless popups.

Runsafer is bascially similar to dropmyrights - except it is implemented automatically

mike

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I have a couple too.

1)What's the option "use OA whitelist" ? Is this a built-in whitelist or it contacts the online list? Because the "contact OASIS in realitime" is faded out, so... o_O

2) When using "Run safer", must one also untrust that application? I mean, it seems like an oxymoron to "trust" but "run safer" or not?

4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

There is a minimalist local whitelist deployed with OA Free. OA Free does not contact OASIS.

Not really. A trusted application is basically "This is a safe/non malicious application, don't ask me questions about what it can and cannot do".

Run Safer is used to restrict rights at a different level - like a limited user account.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Thanks Mike, you were very clear. I am running the 3.5.0.14, very good!

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

thank you for the clarification. I play a game called BF2 and OA Free did not give me a popup. This is the first time using any FW/Hips type program. So either the safety wizard or the OASIS central database allowed the program. Great job Tall Emu!

thanks again,
    Ice

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

BF2 is awesome - though I prefer Eve Online :) Though these days, I do not get much time to play it :(

8. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

Hey... you are close... just finish the AV version... fix a couple of the little piddling stuff and get a few weeks sleep... then you will have plenty of time to play it... )))

Regards -
    -Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.