OA free is blocking Avira from updating.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ChrisBUK, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

I am using Online Armor free edition which I installed 2 days ago and just realised my AV (Avira AntiVir PE Classic) does not seem to be updating.
    I checked firewall history in OA and it seems to be blocking some .dll update files, even though I have allowed everything to do with Avira in Programs, etc. o_O

Here is a screenshot;

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/5599/testsv7.jpg

As I said, I have checked "Programs" in the firewall and anything to do with Avira is allowed, so I am confused as to why OA is blocking it...

Also, since installing OA sometimes my screen seems to completely freeze for a few seconds... For example, I just clicked on the start menu and nothing happened for about 5 seconds, this didn't happen before OA was installed so I think it could be the cause.

Any help would be appreciated. I do love the firewall and have used it before, so I would really like to get these two problems sorted.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Try setting Avira's files as "trusted", not just "allowed". In allowed they have limited rights.

Just a guess...

3. ChrisBUK

Just tried and still no luck. :(

4. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi, ChrisBUK

Avira uses a lot of different files, try to allow and trust these files in OA:

avcenter.exe
    avconfig.exe
    avgnt.exe
    avguard.exe
    avnotify.exe
    preupd.exe
    sched.exe
    update.exe

They are all from the Avira program directory.
    And don't block any file from above with OAs Firewall.

Cheers

5. ChrisBUK

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Do you have Intercept Loopback interface checked?
    Did you try running the Avira install again (repair)?

Gerard

7. ChrisBUK

What's that?

I just tried that and it still failed :( Also, for some reason the guard stopped working after repairing... o_O

I just uninstalled OA and now the guard + updates are working flawlessly. I don't think I really need a software firewall anyway so I think I will just go without. :doubt:

Thanks very much for your help anyway!

8. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using OA and Avira for a very long time without any problems.I did not have any update problems.Maybe you could have tried to put OA in the learning state.

9. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Yeah,I think it is the biggest problem of OA.
    I had similar experience (in another post).It blocked my trusted program and didn't even log it.So you can't find the problem.

10. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

I've been using OA for 9 months now, mostly as a beta tester, and have never had a problem where it blocked anything I did not want it to block. I'm not saying it's impossible for that to happen, but it hasn't happened to me, and my box is on and used 16 hours a day.

I would suggest you re-run the OA setup -- no need to uninstall, particularly if you have set up many customized rules -- just run over the top. All the Safety Check Wizard to run again. Pay particular attention to these Avira/other-related processes that are now being blocked; make sure you check them as "trusted".

Let us know how it turns out.

Sam Spade

|||

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.