O & O Disk Image Pro 6.8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Jim1cor13, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

I have kept my eye on this offering from O & O for quite awhile. They recently released version 6.8 I think it is, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it?

http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodiskimage/professional

Overall, it has some nice features, and they appear to update it on a regular basis. I am curious as to any opinions about this offering and its quality. Personally, I am spoiled after using terabyte products and how flexible they are, but I was always curious about O & O offering.

Thank you for any opinions :)

Jim

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have it and own a copy and i can can for sure its no ifw. i find it slow slightly cumbersome and things like incrementals take as long if not longer than the original full backup did. also it adds a lot of junk on startup etc that i just dont want or need. its not a terrible program but if you are coming from and like the lean simplicity of ifw it may not be for you. i personally would not pay for it again.

3. Jim1cor13

Thank you zfactor for your review. Indeed, IFW, IFL, IFD, BIBM from Terabyte are pretty incredible programs, small and very efficient, and no bloat.

I was always simply curious about it and never tried O&O. Interesting that the incrementals took as long or longer than a full backup. I agree, the start up entries turn me off, along with certain services that may rarely be used nor is it necessary for the main program to function.

Have a good day...or night! ;)

4. zfactor

another thing i forgot to add is i have always had issues with its scheduling. sometimes it worked and sometimes not. its weird kinda like when it decided to work it would. tried many times to get it to work on schedule but never could figure out exactly why it would not work all the time.

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I own v5 and v6, but never use it. It doesn't have WinPE, if it does can anyone guide me to it?

6. zfactor

when you buy it they give you a link to download your recovery media. it is not included in the program

7. aladdin

They gave me a link for WinPE 6.0 beta, and now the program is upto v6.81

Best regards,

8. zfactor

yeah you only get one download from what i was always told by them. you can email them and ask for a updated link. also check your account and see if they updated the link. but i know once i downloaded the winpe it never got updated.

9. aladdin

Basically, a crap program and wastage of money!

I bought v5 and v6 came out on the heels. Bought v6 before trying v5. What a mistake.

Best regards,

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

We learn from our mistakes Mohammed. ;)

11. aladdin

LOL! Thanks Amit.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

No problem. I'm always there to preach some morals.:rolleyes: :D

13. Jim1cor13

Thank you guys for all your comments. Very helpful indeed. It is baffling when a company offers something as important as a backup/imaging solution, and yet can often fail at even the most basic of operations.

At least we have a small handful of great quality to choose from otherwise, such as Terabyte products, Macrium, Keriver Image, and a few others that for the most part, operate as intended with minimal distress to the user.

O&O has some good technology, but it would appear the weak spots are evident as noted by your experiences. This is what makes this board a great place to share and learn from each other...hopefully helping to avoid the mistakes we all make at some point.

Good stuff, thanks again to all of you. :)

Jim

14. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I have used several versions of DI, and it has never failed me "at the most basic of operations". In fact, I think it is very reliable. It has problems, as some of the above posts indicate, but these don't impair the basic functionality.

15. aladdin

Hi Robin,

What I found is the following. I have purchased both v5 and v6, v6 came out as soon I bought v5. Here is what I am facing:

1. The WinPE supplied with v6.0 was beta. The program is now at v6.8 but no WinPE for it.

2. I have about 8 to 10 imaging programs (purchased). All of them are available to me as boot menu beside O&O. The reason being one cannot create an ISO for O&O and input the serial key into it.

3. For the same reason as #2 above, it cannot be put on a USB with other imaging programs. A separate USB/CD/DVD has to be created for it. I have all my imaging programs on a 4GB USB. O&O is the exception.

4. No WinPE plugins are available so that one can create their own WinPE with WAIK.

How you have overcome the above?

Beside, I found it be a resource hog, especially it conflicted with Rollback Rx, which I don't use anymore.

Best regards,

Mohamed

16. Jim1cor13

Thank you Robin :) Good to hear it has never failed at basic operations. That really is the bottom line. Each program has its weaknesses and strengths, the most important one being it does not fail when called upon to recover ones system. Even the best solutions can fail often not because of the application itself, but maybe due to a user error, or hardware event, etc.

I guess I worded it improper to say it failed at most basic of operations, when meaning simply per some user experiences, it stumbled over certain features. Having never tried it, i can only go by others experience, and it is good to read how it has worked for you. :) I have read articles that state the same as you have, and I find user input to be invaluable for real world experience.

Thank you for the input!

Jim

17. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The WinPE isn´t updated as the Windows version does. It seems that there is only one WinPE available for each major version (5,6) of DI.

Also, I have been unable to add USB 3.0 drivers to the WinPE using the O&O program. The only way is to modify the WIM image using other tools.

But, as long as the supplied WinPE works, these problems don´t prevent the creation and restoring of images.

There is an O&O WinPE Builder, which can be used to build the WinPE using WAIK and the installed version of DI. I got it as part of a beta trial some time ago, but it isn´t available for download, AFAIK. I suppose it will be included in future versions of DI. If this is so, the update problem will be solved.

I haven´t tried to include DI in a boot medium with other programs. I suppose you are right and it can´t be done.

18. aladdin

Dear Robin,

Thank you for the above information. Why O&O puts so much restrictions on their paid customers!

Boggles the mind,

Mohamed

P.S. Maybe, we can invite Jim of O&O to this forum and especially to this thread.

19. Jim1cor13

I think that would be a great idea Mohamed if he would be interested to do so, I think it would be helpful both for information and to assist users who have had some issues. Great idea :) Thank you.

Jim

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have used it and the only real complaint I have is that the incrementals take longer than a full backup as mentioned above. It is the one and only reason why I use Acronis instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.