O&O Disk Image 5 Pro any good?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by heskey, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heskey

heskey Registered Member

Is O&O Disk Image 5 pro any good?

I'm in a quandry because I installed the trial version and the program seems nice in appearance and usability but I cannot test full bare metal back up\restore functionality on my systems because I can't create the boot CD which is required for this.

O&O support disappointingly won't let trial users do this because they blame Microsoft Licensing issues :doubt:

This is no good to me, they expect me to blindly purchase this software without being able to test a fundamental feature on my own systems?!?!

They have a 3 license introductory edition offer running which got my interest :(

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I had the same reservations but I bought it anyway. I have tested it several times and find the restores to be very reliable, unlike the Acronis I parted ways with. My only complaint is that the incremental backups take longer than the original. I backed up 150 GB of data on a 640 GB partition and it took an hour and a half and created a 125 GB file, which is ok. But then I did an incremental and it took 3 hours to create a file that was 5 GB in size. At this point I will more than likely just create full backups with it. But given the mediocre quality of most backup software these days, I like the reliability of this program, which so far is flawless.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I would would vote "nay" on this one. The way their M.I.R. works you have to select the target system before you even start the CD, and if they don't have all the drivers you need you'll get a licensing error and cannot start it. That's why I say no.

I'm looking into the newest RC of drive snapshot. It's looking very good. Pair that with tbosdts and I should be all set. (But it's a work in progress for me.)

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i also found it to be reliable but as said above the incrementals take FOREVER! longer then even the full ones do. if it was not for this since i own it id prob be using it.

5. kitakagaya

kitakagaya Registered Member

I have had the same trouble as n8chavez described.

I created a full system image using O&O DiskImage 5 and backed it up toa Blu-ray disk. But last night when trying to restore I only got as far as a screen telling me to select the operating system. This list of detected operating systems was empty and when I chose "unrecognized operating system" there was no access to the system drive or Blu-ray drive from the subsequent directory listing. Cancel and back to the previous screen, I pressed OK to continue, but then just get a message saying I cannot continue without a licence and the computer restarts.

Unless there is another program that canoot do a system restore from an O&O DiskImage 5 image, Ill have to use the system recovery disks that came with the computer and manually reinstall everything. The whole point of buying the software was to avoid this!:blink:

6. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

I also have never really had much success with O&O.
    It always seemed to take a lot longer than Acronis to do a image, and also in restoring it.
    When restoring the image I did have some issues with it not finding the right drivers etc.

I have never had any issues with Acronis, and I have been using it for over 5 years - it's never let me down.

7. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Please also note that you only get the recovery CD version available when you purchase the software. If a minor version is released, you can only get the corresponding recovery CD by paying for it and receiving it physically.

I switched to Macrium Reflect some time ago, and I have *not* been disappointed : the full backup is very fast and the diff/incr also (they use checksums instead of bit for bit compare). I'd go for Macrium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.