O&O 10 vs Perfectdisk 8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by C.S.J, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

which is better,

defragging?
    speed?
    etc etc

i am a perfectdisk user, have been since v6 but i keep hearing many things about O&O, many good things.

any thoughts? o_O

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Ive used O&O v9 before and I liked it more than PerfectDisk. I found O&O's various defrag profiles useful. I used the modified method for my mian disk and access method for my data disk.

For defragging it seemed to do as well as PerfectDisk maybe a lil less but not much.

For speed, I think O&O was faster but I had no way to acually test them equally.

For resource usage, I didnt pay much attention since I leave the computer alone for defragging. I do remember that O&O has setting that let you control its resource usage. I left it on Auto iirc.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

4. WSFuser

I dont know if its needed and yes O&O does defrag in teh background.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, i dont really know which defrag profile to use, there are loads.

i want just a FULL DEFRAG thats all,

stealth
    space
    complete/access
    complete/modified
    complete/name

OR...

is it the one-button defrag thing, there is soooo much more on this than perfectdisk, im used to just clicking ENTIRE DRIVE

which is it that i use, i have a laptop and just want a full defrag of the computer.

----------------------
    i found this,

The integrated OneButtonDefrag Wizard in O&O Defrag 10 provides users with support in activating automatic defragmentation by determining a computer's use patterns through a user questionnaire. Whether a computer is use mainly at work or for gaming, O&O Defrag 10 will automatically choose individual defragmentation strategies and combinations for optimal results. In addition, its high-power algorithms are able to adjust themselves over time to continually work against performance losses due to disk defragmentation. Once OneButtonDefrag is activated, O&O Defrag begins to monitor the fragmentation of a computer's drives, stepping in when needed.

ive set the settings for automatic, home user / laptop ..... so basically i just leave it alone and it does it all for me, it chooses which one out of the 5 to do and does everything automatically? is this right, if so.... ITS VERY VERY GOOD AND CLEVER.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you are going to post in this thread, please stick to discussing features about the two programs, and not get into the "that program isn't worth a darn", or "I like this one" type of posts.

Pete

7. WSFuser

the method thats similar to PerfectDisk's SmartPlacement would be complete/modified so you could try that.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok thanks :)

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Personally I would rate O&O Defrag above Raxco's PerfectDisk. Especially PD8 had quite some bugs, and offered not much more then the previous version 7 did. Besides O&O gives power-users way more control!

(According to the German C'T and CHIP magazine, O&O had 98% for performance gain, were PD only had around 78%.)

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

did they say what type of defrag that used with 0&0?
    i know there is like 7 different patterns with 0&0 defrag
    lodore

11. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

You should read the help file and there you'll read which defrag method suits your system best. Though the new one-button-defrag in version 10, does it automatically for you, by asking you a few questions.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im a happy diskeeper user.
    i was just wondering what defrag method they used for the review?
    yoiu said 0&0 done a better job than perfectdisk in the test.
    i was wondering what defrag method they used for 0&0?
    lodore

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im curious too,

i still dont know which defrag to choose.

ive set up the one-button defrag to laptop etc

and i just click drfrag computer at the top left, it always does SPACE, and i dont know if it does anything automatically still. o_O

bit puzzling, but i do prefer it.

14. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Personally I would go for Perfectdisk.
    It has an offline defrag which defrags the pagefile and mft then places it the largest contiguous free space on the disk.

It's two other defrag options - defrag only and smart placement defrag are about all that is needed in a defragger.

With the smart placement defrag it utilizes the layout.ini which resides in XPs Prefetch folder for optimal boot.

You can navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch and open the layout.ini file in notepad to get a rundown on your pc's boot sequence.

http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/pd80/PerfectDisk80_faqs.cfm#15

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye i defrag my sony walkman 20gb hard drive player with diskeeper every so often.
    it should make your ipod faster afterwards.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.