nvRAID on nForce Pro, and 3ware 9550SX

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ManChicken, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManChicken

ManChicken Registered Member

I have downloaded the 15-day eval version of True Image as I need to move my system off one RAID and onto another... and I am sick of Symantec and their rebates-as-upgrades and getting ANYTHING to work in DOS is a nightmare - so I found Acronis.

My current RAID is running off my motherboard, which uses the nForce Professional (AMD) chipset. Boot partition is RAID-5 which is the one I need to image. The new RAID will be in the same machine, but a RAID-5 running off a 3ware 9550SX card.

I tried to run the 'standalone' version of TI in 'Full' (Linux) mode. It saw my nvidia RAID, but not correctly; My boot partition it identified as NTFS, but had an error that said "File system error: File record corrupted" and would only sector-by-sector back it up. The other partition (which I'm not going to image anyway, I'll copy that plainly via Windows) it couldn't identify the filesystem at all and wanted to do the same (It's NTFS just like the boot.)

In 'Safe' mode (DOS), it found and accessed both partitions on the nvidia array correctly, but of course from DOS I have no network drivers and that's where I need to back it up to.

So, my question is 2-fold:

1. Does the 'real' version of True Image support the nvRAID off an nForce Professional chipset (there are Linux drivers for this chipset specifically from nVidia available)?

2. Does it also support the 3ware 9550SX RAID cards?

Also, when I told True Image to make a complete backup of my C: (boot) partition from within Windows, it seemed to start doing it without requiring me to boot out of Windows. Question is, how is this done? I wanted to use the standalone mode to image my boot drive (thinking as a prior Ghost user) so I'd have a complete clone to restore onto the new HDs... it seems like trying to image a partition from a currently running Windows drive would be a bad idea or wouldn't be complete or exact; even if the machine is completely idle, Windows is constantly fiddling with the registry and doing odd things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.