nvidia raid & disk clone & raid restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by giuliano, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giuliano

giuliano Registered Member

Hi,
    Just my 0.02$ . maybe this can help someone.

some days ago my nvidia raid mirror array shows up as degraded. It was build with two 200gb sata maxtor hard disks and I was booting windows XP from it.
    I was lucky enought to be able to boot into windows (this is what mirroring should do) and I've found that the disk was recognized as a 400gb one. It seems to me the mirror was erroneously seen as a striping unit.
    after that I disconnected one drive at a time anf foind out I can boot from each one. After identifying the most recently used disk I removed both disks from the array (DON'T clear the disk data!). Then I disabled the nvraid in the bios.
    I dosconnected the "old" disk and I verified I can boot from the "new" disk without it being in an array.
    I disconnected the "new" disk and completely erase the "old" one.
    I reconnected the "new" disk and after reenabling the nvraid in the bios, I created a new striping array with only the "new" disk.(DON'T clear the disk data!), leaving the "old" disk unassigned but available to the raid controller.
    After booting into windows I started the nvraid manager and choosed to convert the existing array into a mirror one. everything seems to work fine but the process freezed at 1.56%, no matter how many times I've tried it.
    So I repeted the process up to the erase of the "old" disk, but then I created two striping arrays (one for each disk, DON'T clear the disk data!) and fired up TI9 and cloned the "new" disk to the "old" one. After that I disconnected the "new" disk and I verified I can boot off the "old" disk. Everything worked fine, so I completely erase the "new" disk and assigned as a spare disk to the raid controller.
    after booting into windows and choosed to convert my array to a mirror one (and a wait of about 10 hours) I've got my mirroring array back to life :)

HTH someone, as I lost 3 days trying to find out why the nvraid controller was hanging during the rebuild. (btw the disks wasn't faulty but it seems like a corrupted metadata stored by the nvraid controller)

giuliano

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello giuliano,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

If you have any further experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.