Nvidia Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mowhan, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

Anyone use this firewall and have any views on it,ive been using it for a while and quite like it but haven't been able to find any reviews about it,as my experience with firewalls is pretty limited.

2. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Have encountered some LAN issues with the Nvidia FW (NF3/NF4 chipsets). That's why I never install the Nvidia IDE drivers and the Nvidia FW. The Nvidia IDE drivers can cause read/write issues with some optical drives,

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

mowhan,
    I have never seen, on any of my systems, any sort of hardware conflicts /problems. But the nVfirewall as never filtered TCP/IP correctly on the installations I have made. It does popup for the application access, but that as been it. An example:- I always set the firewall to "custom" and purge (remove) all the TCP/IP rules. I would then set the firewall to block all in/out. This works o.k.,.. I would then set a rule for DNS (allow out to "dns servers" remote port 53), but this would then allow all TCP/IP out. Even placing an IP to block never worked.
    So for me (on 3 amd pc`s), this firewall as never worked correctly. If it did, I would use it, as there are some good options built in.

Have you ever checked to see if the firewall is filtering TCP/IP? or do you just use the pre-config settings?

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I have the new Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe and the strange thing for me was to find out that the nvidia firewall only supports ONE of the TWO Lans and no support for the wireless too... stupid design in my opinion :)

5. furballi

The Nvidia FW is GARBAGE. Want more proof? Nvidia has removed the FW in its new flagship chipset for AMD CPUs.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It was a good idea, but they probably should have gotten one of the main FW vendors to make it for them. Once you have it working it's fine (the rules actually did work for me), but I found the UI buggy, un-intuitive to configure, and all the misc processes it needs kind of defeat the purpose of a hardware based firewall IMO.

I got the system thinking I could get away with a full setup to my liking, with a very bare minimum of resources, for $35 or so, but of course it was too good to be true.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  7. aussiebear

aussiebear Registered Member

I'd have to agree. Its another "feature" that Nvidia failed to properly resolve in regards to issues people were having. Their common tactic is to drop anything they don't have time to fix. (Remember SoundStorm? Yeah, there was a few bugs, but they dropped it with no real explanation as to why!)...Notice how the firewall is completely missing in their marketing nonsense for their recently released 5xx chipsets for AMD's Socket AM2 CPUs?

What irritated me about Nvidia, was that they kept the damn firewall portion as closed-source! It would've been awesome to be able to play with it under Linux, as the driver would be maintained by the community. (But sadly Nvidia's firewall solution is a "Windows Only" feature)...And don't be surprised if a Windows port appeared later!

When asked about this, they'll give you the usual BS response. (The fact is, hardware companies don't support open-source because it doesn't get people upgrading like closed-solutions do...Hence, its more profitable to support closed).

But anyway, don't bother with Nvidia's firewall.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Then you don't have RAID or NCQ?

9. furballi

No RAID or NCQ when evaluating the Nvidia FW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.