Number of programs installed and number running at startup?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by captainron, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainron

captainron Registered Member

Oct 22, 2009
    As the title says, how many programs do you have installed?

If I click start --> programs I have 22 (w/ accesories & IE)
    If I look in add/remove programs I have 50.

I have 0 programs running at startup.

I'm interested in seeing some of your setups as far as # of programs installed and # of programs that run on startup (whether security software or not).
  2. guest

guest Guest

I have these:

Ad Blockers: AdBlock Plus/Element Hiding Helper with EasyList subscriptions and Ad Muncher Pro
    Anti Virus: Microsoft Security Essentials
    Backup: Windows Backup
    Browsers (+ Extensions): Internet Explorer (+ WOT) and Mozilla Firefox (+ ColorfulTabs, Download Manager Tweak, DownloadHelper, SmoothWheel, TV-Fox and WOT)
    Desktop Mail: Windows Live Mail
    Firewall: Windows Firewall and Router Built-in Firewall
    Feed Management: FeedBurner
    Encryption and File Management: Windows BitLocker, Windows Explorer, Windows Double Explorer and WinZip Pro
    Finance Management: AceMoney
    Games: Atrativa Sinuca Bola8, Garena (+ Half Life 1 with Counter Strike 1.6, Half Life 2 with Counter Strike Source, sXe Injected and Warcraft 3 TFT with war3 map pack) and PokerStars
    Instant Messaging: Windows Live Messenger (+ Messenger Plus! Live with scripts NudgeTools and TypingInvisible)
    File Sharing: FrostWire
    Image Editing: and Windows Paint
    Password Management: Syber Systems RoboForm Pro + GoodSync Pro
    PC Manutention and Tune-up: DigitalVolcano Duplicate Cleaner, MyDefrag, PC Tools Registry Mechanic, PCWinTech CleanMem, Piriform Ccleaner Slim, Windows Task Manager, Windows Task Scheduler and xp-AntiSpy
    PDF Management: Adobe Reader and AnyBizSoft PDF Password Remover
    Photo Management: Windows Live Photo Gallery
    Plugin Runtimes: Adobe Flash Player, Microsoft Silverlight and Sun Java RE
    Math Operations: Windows Calculator
    Media Converter: ImToo MPEG Encoder Ultimate
    Media Tools: Daemon Tools Lite and ImgBurn
    Media Player: VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player
    Mega Wipe: Jetico BCWipe Total WipeOut
    Mobile Phone Tools: SonyEricsson PC Suite
    Office Suite: Sun
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x86
    Security Tools: JavaCool SpywareBlaster and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
    Tag Editor: Mp3tag
    Tibia: Blackd Proxy, Cipsoft Tibia Client (+ tibia map pack) and Tibia OT Loader
    Torrent: uTorrent
    Update Management: KC SUMo, Microsoft Update and Secunia PSI
    Video Editing: Windows Live Movie Maker
    + all the rest of Win7 Ultimate built-in software not mentioned

And very few at startup: Ad Muncher Pro, GoodSync Pro, Microsoft Security Essentials and RoboForm Pro. Windows Services were tweaked by Registry Mechanic, mostly are settled to Manual.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Number of programs installed including portable apps =89
    Startup = 2
  4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Pretty much (like andyman35 I suspect) try and keep to a minimum using portables, thinapps, vms and layers, and have little in the way of start-ups - looking now I had a kernel fault check which I have now stopped and a runonce which was a clean up/wipe.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Dec 23, 2005
    22 if you count SBIE services with a browser open.

I have only a handful of 'installed' apps. Most of mine have been copied/pasted from real installations along with some registry settings they need. If I could get rid of the rundll32 that goes along with the nvidia driver, there would be one less lol.

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Are "unzip and use" apps being counted or only those that are installed?
  7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Personally I am only counting those that actually require installation to run. I have many many apps that are simply as you say 'unzip and run'. I don't use them all the time, thus they are there when I need them but never really 'installed'. Usually I unzip them to desktop, run them, then delete them.

Just my opinion anyway.

8. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Mar 4, 2008
    revo uninstaller found 76 progs installed. Plus i have about 50 or so portable apps and 2 games and 5 programs installed inside their respective sandbox.

Programs at startup = 5 including avast 5 beta and the slow loading ati catalyst.
  9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    On my laptop, 35 programs installed, 8 apps run at startup. Bluetooh, Skype, some Lenovo Thinkpad utilities, antivirus, gotomeeting.

If I had an old underpowered machine, I'd probably go and trim that down, but I have 4 gigs of RAM in this laptop, a core 2 duo, and a 7,200rpm hard my laptop probably only truely shuts down once every couple of months..the rest of the time it's standby mode several times a day. I like to use what I paid for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.