Number of icons on Desktop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Can I please ask my learned friends if the number of icons on the Desktop affects the loading time ?

I have a lot as you can see by my screenshot and it does take a while for the system to load up.

Secondly, if I put all the icons which are not used often in a special folder still shown on the Desktop, will it improve the loading time ?

Your ever loyal JB

Desktop 11 Nov 10.JPG

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

it should not imho, unless linked to network drives. visual effects are more on the performance side, such as large and high resolution backgrounds, desktop gadgets/widgets, etc. and of course any startup drivers, services and programs added to the core functionality of the OS

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi John

Windows has to write all those icons when it loads the desktop, so putting them all in a single folder might be very, very marginally better - have you tried that and observed any difference in time to workable desktop?

I imagine Windows takes rather more time to write your desktop background though....

philby

4. John Bull

Thank you so much for replying to a piffling little question.
    I will put all the "unused" icons in a folder which will be on my Desktop, rather like the other folders. Your comments seem to suggest it may help. If it does no good, it will not do any harm and will tidy up my Desktop from being cluttered.

The Background ? Well, I guess it has to stay as a tribute to my beautiful Rottie Kaiser who I absolutely adore and love to see that image every time I log on to my PC.

John
    biting dog.gif

5. philby

philby Registered Member

Nothing wrong with that - some things are far more important than PC speed!

As vtol said, if time to desktop is not good, it might be worth having a peek at msconfig, services.msc and/or Autoruns to see what's starting up...

philby

6. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I agree with philby - minimize your start-up programs and processes to minimize boot-time.

My own system boots with only security apps running, and some services have been set to Manual or Disabled. Be careful about what services you modify, and if in doubt, setting services to Manual is a bit safer than Disabled. Research/Google a bit for advice on modifying services.

Online Armor is an excellent FW/HIPS, but note that my system boots noticeably faster since I switched from OA to PrivateFirewall.

Hope this helps!

7. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Nice dog there. Yours?

I limit my icons to web browsers I use and my main programs. The rest are pinned in Star Menu or Quick Luanch. Just 6 of them. My experience for loading a bit faster than when I had around 20 of them hanging around. Much slower when I was using OA Premium.

8. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I keep the vast majority of my desktop shortcut-icons organized into desktop folders, but that's just to keep the desktop relatively clean rather than for any (probably little or no) performance gain.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I create this
    %appdata%\roaming\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch
    I make it a toolbar on the taskbar (just recreating the old XP quick launch)

I then create subdirectories, something like
    Coding
    Media
    Utils
    System
    Web

in the root of quick launch directory I always place [show desktop, notepad, wordpad, explorer and cmd].. these always show in the quick launch then. I resize the taskbar so that only those items display in quick lauch area. The end result is that I have 5 SMALL icons down by the windows start button, and a little double arrow that when clicked, expands those directores. Then, much like the standard start menu, I hover over a sub-directory, like Web, which expands and lets me choose an alternate browser.

I put all the commonly used windows tools or other tools into these directories. If I use a program a lot, like Chromium or Qdir, it has a desktop shortcut. Things I only use occassionaly or rarely go into the quick launch area.

In this manner I use my desktop as my 'workspace'. I download something to the downloads directory but if I want to mess with it, I move/copy it to my desktop. When I am done messing, I archive the objects if I wish to keep them or delete them.

For those who like a clean desktop, it might be an option, or for those who just like to see thier background ;)

I have no idea if it is any faster, but it is organized :)

Sul.

10. John Bull

Faster ? Maybe or maybe not, but what a superb and professional way to organise the Desktop. I doubt if I can handle it, but to other readers it looks a very attractive prospect.

One fascinating point about a Sully post is that it always offers a highly technical and very positive contribution to any subject he chooses to respond to.

Thanks
    John

PS - I have gone for the Folder option. No benefit regarding loading time, but much more tidy. Also, it gives the dog a break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.