ntssf.exe ? does anyone know what this is

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by tweety pie, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tweety pie

tweety pie Registered Member

Hi Tony.... Lovely to hear from you....Good Choice yes you're right, just had my 3rd LOVESAN going to search this with a search engine just to read up on it.

Are you never away from your pc lol!!!! Cheers. Sue

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Hi Susan!

I think I may have to install a time lock on the damned thing... LOL

3. tweety pie

tweety pie Registered Member

Tony could i ask if you can reccommend a Registry Cleaner or are these things best leaving alone if you're like me not experienced enough to know what I'm dealing with. Cheers Sue

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Well, here's another subject (just like AVs or firewalls) where everyone's usually eager to plug his/her pet program, but, especially on NT based systems I would suggest you don't bother with it.
    Most applications in that field err on the extremely cautious side, and much of what they remove is taken from reg keys that get re-populated as soon as you start using your computer again.

In Win 98/ME the situation is different, in that a bloated system.dat can stop you from repairing/compacting the Registry using the scanreg /fix and /opt commands, and for those operating systems I can warmly recommend MS RegClean, but that's not the case in Win XP.

What I would however recommend is NTRegopt, a utility that compacts your registry, and can help improve preformance: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

And of course, what would really help is using an install monitor like Ashampoo Uninstaller or Total Uninistall:

http://www.martau.com/
    http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0103

It monitors every single registry key, value and file that's added or modified when installing an application, and, when you decide to remove that application, will allow you to restore your system to the exact state it was before.

Incomparably more thorough than using add/remove Programs!

If you do decide to go shopping for a Reg Cleaner, there's a thread somewhere in this forum with lots of different opinions.

Personally, I'm no longer using one.... just my 2 cts tho...

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi sue. Did you go for the suite, or "just" the anti-virus. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.