NTOSKRNL.EXE missing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bgaetzi, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgaetzi

bgaetzi Registered Member

Hi
    After a restore of Backup (created via network). No error nor backup, nor restore. i get the message ntoskernel is missing or demaged.

It's a HP Server with 2 UW SCSI Drives and ISA Server installed.
    Can anyone help me?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

When you created the image did you make sure that the following options were not ticked

* Exclude all hidden files and folders

* Exclude all system files and folders

3. bgaetzi

bgaetzi Registered Member

The problem was the boot.ini was not correct. i had to boot from Server CD, take the repair option and had to edit or copy the boot.ini file. The answer from acronicshelpdesk came 1 week later. !!??

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

If you could provide more detail, I would be interested to understand the solution.

The boot.ini file contains a line (or lines if there is more than one OS) which directs the boot process to the disk and partition that contains the OS.

The only time that I can think of that you would want to change the boot.ini file is if you had moved the OS to a different disk or partition or had added another OS and you then wanted to use the boot.ini file as a boot manager.

Based on the information in your posts, you have not moved the OS, therefore it is not clear why you would want to edit the boot.ini file.

If however, you had "Excluded" system or hidden files from your backup then the boot.ini file would not have been backed-up and consequently would not have been restored.

The readers on this Forum would be grateful if you could take the time to post the exact cause and solution to this problem.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bgaetzi,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved. As Tabvla it would be better to provide more information about the issue you have experienced in order that Acronis Support Team or other Forum Members could come with a solution or suggestion in the future.

Also would like to mention that Tabvla's reply regarding excluding files from the image archive applies to the file based backup. As far as I understood you have created the image of the image of the system partition or the entire hard drive. The disk/partition image created with Acronis True Image does not include up swap file information (win386.swp under Windows 98/Me and pagefile.sys under Windows NT/2000/XP) and hiberfil.sys (a file that keeps RAM contents when the computer goes into hibernation). This reduces image size and speeds up image creation and restoration. All other system files that are critical for Windows boot process (including hidden and system files) is included. Also the disk/partition image includes boot record, FAT (file allocation table), root and the zero track of the hard disk with master boot record (MBR).

You can find more information about Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.