NTFS partition showing Active (should be Primary)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hinkleyk, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hinkleyk

hinkleyk Registered Member

I have two physical drives. Drive C and Drive D.

Drive C has two partitions set up by Dell.
    1st partition is FAT32 and is very small and has some EISA config stuff on it.
    2nd partition is NTFS (System)

Drive D has one partition set up as NTFS

Originally in Acronis my Drive C was showing Primary, Active and my Drive D was showing up as Primary only. I usually just create image for C on my D and image for D on my C, and my images are usually always full. I have restored successfully several times and all times the restoration process has asked me for the correct default of Active, Primary, or Logical.

However, I am not real sure when the change to my D Drive partition status changed but now when I try to restore an image and it gets to the Active, Primary, or Logical question,.... Active is highlighted, Primary is not assessible, and Logical is assessible if I want to choose it.

Can someone tell me why my D drive is no longer PRIMARY like in the beginning? Can someone please tell me how to get my D drive back to PRIMARY and not ACTIVE. My C Drive is also ACTIVE and is the drive that I actually boot from and has the Windows2000 Pro OS on it.

Is this information being stored in the MBR? on the C drive or on the D drive, etc. Any and all information for me to fully understand what is going on and how to correct my situation would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Normally, it is only possible to display one PRIMARY ACTIVE PARTITION at a time. The system will support up to four primary partitions, but only one primary partition can be active. Set the D partition as an extended logical partition. You can use the D partition to store ANY data, including the image file. To restore the image file, simply dump the image file from the D partition back to the NTFS C partition and set this partition ACTIVE so that you can boot into WXP. The FAT32 partition is used by DELL to troubleshoot the PC. You can delete this partition if you don't need this feature.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hinkleyk,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Please note that in this particular case it doesn't matter if this partition is Primary and Active or only Primary.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.