NTFS for Mac - Write Access on a per drive & per account basis

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by omzaz, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omzaz

omzaz Registered Member

Is it possible to enable write access on NTFS partitions on a per partition basis.

e.g. could I set it to allow me to write to external NTFS drives but disable writing to the bootcamp partition.

Also, can write access to NTFS paritions be controlled on a per account basis? I may wish to allow the admin accounts to write to write to a bootcamp partition but not other users (e.g. the guest account).
  2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

It appears that there is no such option now. I would recommend you to submit support request (http://www.paragon-software.com/webform).
    More requests - better chance to get required option in future versions.
  3. omzaz

omzaz Registered Member

Thanks,
    I've submitted the feature request.
  4. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

You can create /etc/fstab file to manage access type (rw or ro).
    The file /etc/fstab is consulted for user-defined mount points, indexed by filesystem, in the mount point determination for a filesystem. Each filesystem can be identified by its UUID or by its label, using the constructs ``UUID'' or ``LABEL'', respectively. For example:
    LABEL=BOOTCAMP none ufsd_NTFS ro (mount volume BOOTCAMP with read-only access)
    LABEL=EXTERNAL_NTFS none ufsd_NTFS rw (mount volume EXTERNAL_NTFS with read and write access)
    LABEL=DONT_AUTO_MOUNT_THIS_VOLUME none ufsd_NTFS rw,noauto
    (this volume won't be mounted automatically).
    ufsd_NTFS - name of Paragon NTFS driver for Mac OS X.
  5. omzaz

omzaz Registered Member

Thanks, this is a good solution for controlling access on a per drive basis, but as far as I can tell drive mounting control is system wide.

I assume access control on a per account basis would only be possible if there were a 3rd party driver solution (e.g. Paragon NTFS) since OS X does not support NTFS permisssions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.