NTFS for Mac - Write Access on a per drive & per account basis

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by omzaz, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omzaz

omzaz Registered Member

Is it possible to enable write access on NTFS partitions on a per partition basis.

e.g. could I set it to allow me to write to external NTFS drives but disable writing to the bootcamp partition.

Also, can write access to NTFS paritions be controlled on a per account basis? I may wish to allow the admin accounts to write to write to a bootcamp partition but not other users (e.g. the guest account).

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

It appears that there is no such option now. I would recommend you to submit support request (http://www.paragon-software.com/webform).
    More requests - better chance to get required option in future versions.

3. omzaz

omzaz Registered Member

Thanks,
    I've submitted the feature request.

4. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

You can create /etc/fstab file to manage access type (rw or ro).
    The file /etc/fstab is consulted for user-defined mount points, indexed by filesystem, in the mount point determination for a filesystem. Each filesystem can be identified by its UUID or by its label, using the constructs ``UUID'' or ``LABEL'', respectively. For example:
    LABEL=BOOTCAMP none ufsd_NTFS ro (mount volume BOOTCAMP with read-only access)
    LABEL=EXTERNAL_NTFS none ufsd_NTFS rw (mount volume EXTERNAL_NTFS with read and write access)
    LABEL=DONT_AUTO_MOUNT_THIS_VOLUME none ufsd_NTFS rw,noauto
    (this volume won't be mounted automatically).
    ufsd_NTFS - name of Paragon NTFS driver for Mac OS X.

5. omzaz

omzaz Registered Member

Thanks, this is a good solution for controlling access on a per drive basis, but as far as I can tell drive mounting control is system wide.

I assume access control on a per account basis would only be possible if there were a 3rd party driver solution (e.g. Paragon NTFS) since OS X does not support NTFS permisssions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.