NSA Whistleblower;You will never be safe whatever protections you put in place."

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Socio, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Edward Snowden, NSA files source: 'If they want to get you, in time they will'

Interesting and scary at the same time!

I wonder though when he says "we can plant bugs in machines" does he mean physically, or through malware that is undetectable by AV and anti-Malware software?

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

4. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

I can only see that they mention PGP, not GPG? GPG is an application, but the protocol is called PGP (or OpenPGP).

We have had several requests from governments, and they don't even ask for the PGP-encrypted data, most likely because they know they can't decrypt it.
    There will always be ways to protect yourself, it's just a matter of knowledge and motivation.

5. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Yeah, you are right. My mistake, sorry.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Yes, in my opinion it is possible. 100% security is an impossibility, but so is 100% attack success.

7. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

Psh. That's all hogwash. Don't you guys know the gubbment can easily decrypt these off-the-shelf encryption products, especially these free ones with unknown developers?

Forget the fact that court report after court report, after news report after news report demonstrate that agencies have had to resort to other tactics because they couldn't break the encryptions. Forget the fact that the high level tech analyst for both the CIA and NSA used PGP for his covert communications to pull off one of the biggest whistleblowing operations in US history.

No no. Sure as s*** you can't expect any of these kinds of programs to withstand major scrutiny. Anyone who thinks otherwise is misguided. Users like this senior-level NSA analyst who consider major governments to be among their adversaries should know better than to place their trust in any off-the-shelf encryption products. They are just completely inappropriate for storing the type of data that can get a person interrogated, tortured or imprisoned.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

If Snowden insisted on PGP, that says something.

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Jackman, Again - I agree with you. But why do you have to be so acerbic? And especially with Dantz who has done so much around here for so many. It's like you're looking at every post as an opportunity to be condescending and inflammatory. I don't get it.

10. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

Great word :thumb:

No, not at all. Sorry if it seems that way. I just found it kind of ironic that a few days after we're told anyone who uses "off-the-shelf" encryption products like that for any sort of secret of any significant consequence is "misguided", perhaps the biggest leak in US history occurs...and literally the day after the person who suggested it doubles down on his claim (and kind of condescends to me in the process), alleging their use is "completely inappropriate", it's revealed the tech analyst of virtually the highest level, for the CIA and the NSA, used PGP to pull it off.

Certainly you find that at least a little funny?

11. Countermail

I don't agree with you at all. *Edit: unless I misunderstood your position? :O

I have read numerous court reports and I have been involved in dozens of government request. In those cases where the user used the encryption application the correct way, government failed to decrypt the data. In cases where they managed to decrypt the data, the accused person had always made some mistake, like low-entrophy-passwords or no protection against side-channel attacks . I'm not talking about rubber-hose attacks now, such attacks is of course more difficult to protect against.

12. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

Well there we go. What is it they say about satire? No matter how obvious you think you are, someone will always take you seriously?

I'm kinda disappointed actually. Thought I laid it on pretty thick, to be honest. :doubt:

13. Countermail

Ok, but I actually added: "*Edit: unless I misunderstood your position?". I'm not native in english, so I can blame it on that ;)

14. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

Yeah I saw that after I posted. I was already replying before you made the edit, so I missed it ;)

Never would have known. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.