NSA preps quantum-resistant algorithms to head off crypto-apocalypse

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Minimalist, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's nice of them :)

However, as the article notes, they have a serious credibility problem. And they have far less monopoly on talent than they did a decade or two ago. Even with their huge funding.

And then there's the FBI ;)

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I think I'll take my chances with the current encryption model for the time being. Can you just imagine these proposed NSA algo's deployed in tandem with Win 10? Anybody feeling safe with that duo combo of "security"? LOL!!

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Obsolete? Apocalypse? No way. Quantum computers will reduce brute-force times by half, at most. So if it takes 100 trillion centuries to brute-force a good 64-character passphrase nowadays, it would take "only" 50 trillion years to crack that same passphrase.

Quantum brute-force shouldn't be a problem if the passphrase and algorithm are good. Period. Twofish and Serpent may be ready for it alrea since they were created thinking of future attacks.

If there's anything quantum computers will do towards security is improve it, because at least current crypto implementations will improve with it.

Perhaps now it's time for everybody to change to Twofish/Threefish/Serpent instead of staying with rijndael ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.